Chapter 1

Elliot's pov

I carry the last box in and wipe my forehead with the back of my hand. Looking around my small studio I grin.

This is perfect. Finally after so many years I'm living by myself in the city of my dreams.

Chicago.

I know it seems cheesy and its every midwestern kids dream to move here. But the day is finally here. It took me 21 years and tell I'm a senior in college but still.

I start unpacking my necessities and organizing the few pieces of furniture I brought with me.

It's almost midnight when I finish and Im about to pass out. I toss extra items off my bed and slide under the covers.

Staring into the dark room with the sound of cars around me makes me smile. After about half an hour my smile turns to a frown. It's so loud.

My hometown in Iowa was quiet at night except for a few frogs. Thankfully about an hour later I drift off to sleep.

When I wake the next morning I make coffee and look out my small window. There isn't much of a view but I can see the other apartments around me and a young couple walking their dog.

I think back to my own dog and smile. I miss Lucy, I hope mom's taking care of her. Despite the fact that I took care of Lucy all the time my mom still considered her her dog and refused to allow me to take Lucy when I moved here.

I finish my coffee and start unpacking the rest of the boxes. I didn't bring much with me so I finish rather quickly.

My phone dings and I see a text from an unknown number.

XXX-XXX-XXXX
Hello Elliot! I was looking through your application and you seem like a great candidate for The Watering Can. Would you be available to meet in person to talk more?

I smile and quickly type back a response. I filled out a bunch of applications a few days ago and I remember liking this job the best. It's near my house so it would only take a fifteen minute bus ride.

I get another text confirming the interview for tomorrow at eleven. I spent the day grocery shopping and exploring the ares around my apartment. Before I know it it's late and I'm getting ready for bed.

Tonight takes me longer to fall asleep as I'm not as tired and the sounds seem louder. I don't remember falling asleep but when I wake I'm exhausted.

My shower is longer than usual and I'm still feeling groggy when I eat breakfast. I consider taking a quick nap before my interview but quickly shut that idea down. Of I go back to sleep I'll be even more tired and I alright got ready.

At ten thirty I grab all my things and head to the bus stop a few blocks from my apartment. The whole way to the shop my stomach is twisting with nerves.

This place is the only one that contacted me, what if they don't hire me? How long can I lice in such a big city with only five hundred dollars in my bank account.

My monthly rent is almost eight hundred dollars so not long. The bus stops and I step off along with two other people. I check google maps and turn towards the shop.

I see the cute little flower shop and quickly turn off my phone. It's cuter than I thought it would be. 

The front has two large windows that are surrounded by bouquets and buckets of flowers. The door is a baby blue and has a antique door handle.

I walk inside and the little bell rings above the door.

The shop is tiny and full of colorful flowers. In the back there is a fridge full of flowers, a few tables line the walls and one in the middle of the shop all covered with flowers. There is even a stand with cards next to the counter.