Gally [1]

The moment she saw that group of boys drive by, all siting on top of the vehicle, her body tensed. There was a familiarity radiating from one of those bodies. The way he sat, the way he held the gun, the way his masked face followed hers through the crowd.

Her suspicions were risen higher when those same people attacked them. Out of nowhere, she and her friends had hands over their mouths and were being forced into the backs of the vehicles. Though Y/N kicked and thrashed, deep down she recognized the hands which tried to restrain her. They were gentle, but still firm, and Y/N could tell he was trying to not hurt her.

She knew when she heard him speak. The vans stopped moving and the doors flung open. Y/N took the opportunity to send her foot careening into shins the boy trying to hold her back, causing her to topple out of the back of the van onto the cement.

"Shit, shortie." The boy muttered under his breath. (Lol sorry if you're not short, but Gally's supposed to be tall so idk)

Gally. Back in the Glade, Gally had always called her that. It was impossible. He was dead.

Y/N froze, still sprawled out on the ground, Jorge screaming and punching some other boy just a few feet away.

"Gally?" She whispered, brows furrowed. Her convict stopped for a moment and stared down at her, but then bolted off to the front of the crowd. Begrudgingly, she got up and dusted herself off, eyes never leaving that boy at the front of the crowd.

Brenda whispered something in Y/N's ear, causing her attention to be diverted for a few seconds. When she looked back, the mask shrouding the face she suspected to be Gally's was torn off.

"Hey, greenie." He sounded gruffly, looking to Thomas. For a split second, his eyes met the hers and then darted away.

A fight broke out between the two, but Y/N just stood, completely paralyzed. Her mind was racing in so many different directions, she didn't know what to say, what to do, or what to even believe anymore.

After a while, Thomas and the others pushed past Gally to follow one of the other men to meet some guy named Lawrence. Jorge tugged at Y/N's oversized coat to ensure she followed.

As Y/N passed Gally, his head was lowered shamefully. She scanned his face, checking to see if it really was him, but there was no denying his distinct features. (Cough eyebrows cough) The moment Y/N's gaze left his face, she felt a hand graze her own.

A tightness fell upon her chest, heart racing, but she didn't dare look back. Instinct took over and she quickened her pace, jogging up to Newt and walking at his side.

Gally was left standing in defeat. Why couldn't he just look her in the eyes? Speak to her? He was going to have to sooner or later. Why was he so ashamed? It wasn't really his fault Chuck was dead. But, maybe, he wasn't ashamed at all. He was afraid. Afraid because after being gone so long, maybe Y/N had stopped caring about him.

Y/N rummaged about Lawrence's lair like room while Thomas tried to make some sort of deal. Once he finally did, he was forced to choose who would go with him into the city. He chose Newt, like everyone expected, and Gally began to lower a ladder into the tunnels below.

"Y/N comes too." Gally demanded quietly, almost cowardly.

"I said two, Gally." Lawrence snarled.

"I know. But I don't trust these two shanks to memorize their way through the tunnels. Trust me." He defended his case.

Lawrence grimaced and looked to the small girl at Brenda's side. "Her? The twig?"

"Yes. Now lets go." He waved to Thomas and Newt before disappearing into the tunnels. Y/N followed right behind, knowing she had no other choice.

Gally still refused to even bat an eye at Y/N as the group traversed the city. The only contact he made was helping her clamber up over a wall which she was too small to overtake herself. After everyone was over, they began their journey up the staircases hidden within the colossal wall encompassing the city.

A cool breeze blew against the group as they stepped out onto a ledge, the whole city glowing beneath them. Newt and Thomas took turns peering through a telescope at the WICKED facility while Y/N sat with her legs hanging over the edge, looking down.

Finally gathering the courage, Gally seated himself beside her. "Sorry we kidnapped you."

"You're lucky I only kicked your shins." She snapped.

A small smile broke on Gally's face. Y/N hadn't changed one bit. Her hair was a little longer since the last time he'd seen her, a few more scars on her exposed skin, but her character remained unchanged.

"Yeah, thanks for that." He laughed lightly, a pressure on his chest being released. At least she hand't pushed him off of the wall yet. Thomas sure would have.

"I still can't believe you're alive." Y/N muttered, fiddling with the bandages wrapped around her hands.

"That's what everybody's been saying." He rolled his eyes, then reached for Y/N's hand. She jolted back a little, causing Gally to finally look her in the eyes and send a worried glance. He'd almost forgotten those soft Y/E/C eyes. "What happened?"

"I punched through some glass cause Frypan got stuck in the truck after he flipped it." She grumbled, taking her hand back.

Gally scoffed, the small smile on his face still refusing to fall. "Never thought I'd see you again. Yet here you are, punching through windows and all."

Y/N smiled a little too. "Sorry we treated you like such shit back in the Glade."

Gally shrugged and kicked his legs back and forth a little as they dangled beside hers. "I deserved it."

"No you didn't." Y/N said back, earning a confused glance from the former builder. "You're not a bad person. You were just scared and used anger to hide it."

"How'd you?—"

"C'mon Gally, you don't think the other boys did it to? You got angry, Minho got sassy, Newt got defensive, and Alby got despondent. All of those are just defence mechanisms." Y/N explained.

"And what'd you get?" He asked curiously.

Y/N sighed. "No clue. Hopeless for sure, though."

"I think you got selfless. So busy caring about the rest of us, you didn't have time to stop and think about the things that bothered you." Gally said honestly, looking to his friend who sat processing his words.

"Maybe." Y/N pursed her lips, staring down into the abyss below.

"If we make it out of this—" Gally suddenly straightened up. "Where do we go?"

"Vince, the guy who brought us here, has this 'paradise' in the works. I guess there." Y/N said.

Gally nodded. "Sounds alright."

"You won't have to be afraid anymore." Y/N told him, looking up.

"Not if you're around, shortie." He grabbed her bandaged hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. Despite all they had been through back in the Glade, how he had treated his friends, and how he had killed Chuck, Gally was glad to have his friends back. They were the closest thing he would ever have to a family.

"We'll make it out." He hoped his assurance would prove true. He was tired of running, tired of fighting, tired of losing people.

It took a near death experience for him to realize how much he cared about the girl from back in the Glade. And so, he wanted to start anew, in a place where he didn't have to hurt others in order to feel safe.

The home he had once known may have burned to pieces before his eyes. Most of the people he'd grown up with in that box may have been gone now. But, she was still here, the foundations on which he could build a new home.