Change of Plans

Jack and Jerry returned to the clearing, bringing a couple of police cars and Chief Collig with them. By then, Frank and Joe had dusted for fingerprints on both wigs, took a strand of hair from both for analyzing, and took photos of the tags on the inside. Chief Collig was mighty proud of their work, but was a bit upset they didn't tell him at the Tower Mansion. He did forgive them quickly as the Tower Mansion did make them forget about it, and hadn't compared photos of the tire tracks. The Hardys gave them all the evidence they had found so far, and wanted to help look for more.

"I don't know, boys," said Collig, "you've done a mighty fine job already. I think you've found everything you could."

"But we still don't know the identity of the thief," said Joe.

"And we need to confirm that this was the wig worn by the thief when he robbed Mr. Applegate," said Frank.

"Oh that's easy enough," said Collig as he took the plastic bag the wig was in, "I can show them today and ask them myself. I'll call you with their answers."

"But shouldn't we come with you? It is our case, after all," said Frank.

Collig thought about it for a moment. "That is true. Alright, come on."

"But what about us?" asked Chet.

"You fellows can go ahead and head home once my officers are finished asking questions," said Collig. "I'll take the Hardys home."

"See you guys later!" said Joe with a wave of his hand before jumping in to the police car.

"Please make sure everything is returned to the box!" said Frank before following his brother into the car. Chief Collig pulled out onto the highway and drove towards the Tower Mansion. Frank took a moment and texted his father real quick, telling him where they were going and why.

"So, what are you boys going to do if neither man recognizes this wig?" asked Collig.

Joe shrugged. "Start back at square one, I guess. But I have a hunch this is a vital clue."

Frank nodded as he put his phone back in his pocket. "I do too."

"And if this is from the culprit?"

"Well, guess we're going to have to check out the costume stores as well as the pawn shops," said Joe with a grin as he glanced at Frank.

"Yup, which means we're going to have to change up the plan." He let out a breath. "Man, I didn't expect to find clues this quickly. Dad often says it could take days before finding a vital clue. These, these almost seem to have landed in our laps."

Joe's eyes narrowed as he rubbed his chin. "You have a point there. What if . . ." He paused and gasped as his eyes widened. "What if this is just a ruse? A distraction to keep the police off their tails!"

Collig glanced at him through the rearview mirror questioningly. "What do you mean by that? And keep us from finding out what?"

"Whatever illegal activity is going on at the Pollitt place!"

"But your dad's on that case," said Collig, his eyes back on the road. "We'll drop whatever we're doing to help him, you know that. Besides, the Coast Guard is still available. If it is a distraction, it's not a very well-thought out one."

Frank sighed. "You're right, Chief."

Joe snapped his fingers in frustration. "Go figure."

"Hey, it's alright, you guys are still learning. It's like learning how to swim, you're going to have to start out at the short end before diving into the deep end. You guys still have years to go, anyhow. It took your dad years to get to this level. But I will agree on one thing, finding all of this evidence was too easy."