Chapter 9. Mess?

Having a good heart can put you in some messed up situations.

~Pinterest

Ariana's POV

I spread my arms lazily and yawned with my eyes still closed. I don't know why but the couch suddenly feels so comfortable. I don't feel like getting up. I want to sleep the whole day.

But wait, when did I get back on the couch? I remember falling asleep on the bed and then....

Oh My...

I sat up abruptly, my eyes widening as yesterday's events flashed through my mind.

I again had those nightmares which usually haunted me, not letting me sleep peacefully. Everytime, those nightmares would take me back to the day my mother killed herself and all those moments when my father abused me. It was like a fresh memory which kept on repeating in my head. I couldn't ever get rid of them.

I would usually find myself waking up in the middle of night. Curling into a ball in the corner of my room, I would let myself to cry to my hearts content until the sunrise. But yesterday...

I don't know what took over me to behave the way I did. It was all so sudden. For the first time, there was someone to witness the wrecked part of me. And there my mind just stopped making sense. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't alone. That there was someone else in the room and it wasn't just my fraction of imagination. So, I hugged Daniel to make sure he was real. Oddly, I felt comfort in his arms and I just couldn't hold it in.

I tried, I tried not to let him show my vulnerability. I never wanted anyone to know the vulnerable girl who hid behind a brave mask. But I just couldn't.

I felt a weird kind of comfort, and a sense of protection in his arms. My nerves calmed down as I inhaled his pure male scent, a mix of fresh cologne and musk. And his strong arms wrapped around my small frame felt so good.

What was wrong with me? Did I lose my mind? I shouldn't have done that. Daniel might be thinking that I was a clingy woman. And who wouldn't. After all the things I did anyone would think that way. I don't blame him. I was stupid. Really stupid, to let my walls down.

But he was different yesterday.

He didn't ignore me. He wasn't even rude to me. In fact, he comforted me which for the first time, calmed me and helped me return back to sleep. He also agreed to my plea and slept next to me.

I couldn't help my cheeks from heating up at the thought of Daniel and I sharing the same bed.

Ugh...what's wrong with me?! It's not like anything happened! Seriously, Ariana, your mind isn't in it's right senses!

I should probably go and apologise to Daniel for being clingy and also thank him. Thank him for what? For being there...

One thing I realised about Daniel yesterday is that, he isn't as heartless as he portrays himself to be. In fact, he isn't heartless at all. He might be many things but not heartless at least by the way he comforted me.

◇◇◇

I bit on my fingernails nervously weighing my options as I stood outside the study room where Daniel currently is.

After having a quick shower and getting dressed, the first thing I did was search for Daniel. A maid informed me that he was in the study. So, here I am. Standing outside the study thinking whether to go inside or not. I finally decided to go inside, apologise and get over with this already.