Chapter 31: Livinia's been shot

Third Person

Riley, Alice and Arcadia ventured further and further into the forest collecting the rarest and most beautiful animals they could find. On account of Riley, that decided not to kill all of the animals, but to simply capture them and then put them to sleep with Riley's black mist so that they wouldn't become distressed within the storage bag. Arcadia was key in capturing the animals, with her merge magic she was able to manipulate wood, thus she could make very good wooden cages from the wood of the trees to trap the animals in.

After an hour and a half the group had managed to capture a blue-blooded bull (which was quite a rare animal because of the royal blue colour of its fur), a fully grown phoenix (a brilliant and extremely rare bird that could use fire magic and lived at the very top of only the tallest Markenian trees), a crystalline snake (and extraordinarily large snake whose scales were made out of real crystal gemstones), a warrior shrew (a small mouse-like animal that could shoot poisonous metal quills out of its tail), a sorkinis quailer (a very impressive bird that was capable of belting out powerful yet beautiful tunes, Riley had thought that somebody was randomly singing opera in the middle of the forest until Arcadia had told her it was actually a bird), then lastly the asimenia fox (a stunningly beautiful silver-haired fox, that had glowing yellow eyes and very long whiskers that silver whiskers that dragged on the floor as they walked).

Since the three had travelled so deep into the forest they knew they would need quite some time getting back to the main tent, so they began their walk back to the tent with the use of Riley's mapping skill.

Alice had a proud glint in her eye, confident that she would beat her brother at the hunt this time. Arcadia had a cheery glow to her, she was grateful that she had had such an exciting and happy day with her new friends. Riley felt both the emotions that her two friends felt, proud of herself for being able to use her magic and cheery that she had had such a good time with her friends. All three girls were now excited to go and show the judges what they had managed to catch.

Ding... Ding...

"Aha! The bell." Called Alice excitedly as the three girls stepped out of the forest and into the clearing where the main tent was set up. Everyone was already there, waiting and chatting contently as the sky was starting to dye itself a bright orangey-pink, the sun was setting spectacularly that night.

"At last you have arrived!" Called Cornelius teasingly to his sister. Alice scoffed at his antics and marched over to him. "I hope that you at least caught something of note, unlike last year..." he smirked egging his younger sister on. Alice's mind snapped back to last year, when she had only managed to catch a grey-blooded Boar (the most common type of animal in the whole forest), she had been utterly embarrassed when Cornelius had managed to catch a blue-blooded Boar. Even worse, he had mocked her relentlessly for months, she would never forgive the unjust name calling... However this time with the help of Riley's mapping skills and Arcadia's wood magic, they would definitely come out on top and she would get a chance to tease her brother, for eternity.

Alice only snickered at him, she couldn't wait to see his face when the judge pronounced her the winner. Riley and Arcadia only laughed at their brother-sister relationship. Riley determined that it was some weird mix between loving somebody endlessly but also hating their guts at the same time. Sadly and luckily she was an only child and never gotten to experience the whole brother-sister relationship, however, since coming to Gismead she had really learnt the value of family from the Girannonians who seemed to value family above all other things. Well, wealth was also quite high up on the list...

Right on cue the announcer stepped onto a tree stump and began speaking.

"All contestants welcome back from your journey into the forest, we trust that your hunt was fruitful!" Alice giggled gleefully and nudged Riley and Arcadia in their sides. Yes, the hunt was very fruitful, she thought giddily.