Chapter 67 We Start The Diagnosis

The next morning, Elford washed and dressed up in a black suit. He walked out of his room and a maid lead him to Loraine's room. As they walked, Elford looked around at the halls which were decorated with antique paintings. So, Ember still had that love for art. When they reached Loraine's room, he found Loraine sitting at the piano and Maple sat beside him. Loraine got up as he looked at Elford.

"Good morning, Elford" Loraine greeted him and he greeted back with a smile. He sat on a chair that had been put up for him. Elford had a strong scent of cologne. A scent that would get to your head.

"How have you been?" He asked as he crossed his legs.
"I have been well," Loraine replied.
"You're so nice to Loraine and a complete asshole to me?" Maple spoke up.
"I treat people how they should be treated,"
"You should fuck yourself,"
"I don't have a twin,"

"Have you met the director of the hospital yet?" Loraine interrupted Maple because that small talk was irrelevant at the moment.
"I've informed the hospital I'll be working with them for three months. I'll go back to America by March-end, after performing Ember's surgury,"

"You'll be working with Indians? Didn't you say you hate them?" Maple asked.
"Yeah, but I can't possibly hate someone in their own country. I hate them while I'm in America and I love them when I'm in India," Elford said.
"Three months will do. How much will be your payment?" Loraine asked.

"You'll pay or your father?"
"Does that matter?"

"Not really. I just need my money. I charge on per hour basis, 3 months means about 121 days, which means 2904 hours. I charge $2000 for an hour session, meaning that'll add a total to $520,000 for three months. Plus the hospital bills, medicines and equipment, that'll all add up to $956,433,"

"I will pay. You just start the procedure, don't delay it any further,"
"I hope so. Cause you see, charity ain't my cup of a tea," Elford got up, "I'll leave for now. I'll start going to the hospital once I get half of my payment," Elford left the room and Loraine looked at the piano.

"Loraine, how on Earth are you ever gonna get all that money?" Maple asked.
"I'll have to bring father into it,"
"Should I talk to him?"
"No, I'll do it,"

Loraine walked towards his father's room and knocked on the door. He entered the room. Harnston was sitting on a chair with a pair of glasses and looking into his files as his pet, a black cat slept on his lap.

"Father,"
"Is that you, Loraine?" He removed his glasses and kept his file aside. He could tell which triplet it was just by listening to their voice.
"Yes father," Loraine walked towards him and stood right behind him "Elford is here,"
"I see. You've disappointed me too,"

"I didn't want to do that. But, I don't want to lose Ember,"
"If Elford could save him, I would have contacted him before you," Harnston got up and the cat jumped down from his lap. He looked down at Loraine, "You should do as I say, Loraine. You are my nice son,"

"I am also a nice brother,"
Harnston closed his eyes, "Very well," He moved towards the chest of drawers kept beside his bed. He took out a chequebook and signed on a blank cheque.

He gave it to Loraine "I don't want you to complain that you didn't try or you could have saved him. So, I'm giving you no chance of any excuse. Waste as much money as you like,"
"Thank you, father," Loraine took the cheque.

Elford sat in his car and sprayed some sanitiser on his rubber gloves. His scent grew strong again and he held the steering wheel. He decided to stop by at the hospital. He called the hospital's director and informed him of his sudden arrival. When he reached the hospital, he found the hospital's chairman and few doctors were waiting for him.