The Empty Child - IV

Continue from The Empty Child - III

---

The Doctor used a pair of super binoculars to scan the area while Nancy talked to him and Rose. "The bomb's under that tarpaulin." She told them, pointing. "They put the fence up overnight." She pointed to another spot. "See that building? The hospital."

"What about it?" Rose asked.

"That's where the doctor is. You should talk to him."

"For now," The Doctor spoke. "I'm more interested in getting in there."

"Talk to the doctor first," Nancy advised.

"Why?" Rose said.

"Because then maybe you won't want to get inside."

The Time Lord looked up as Nancy started to walk away. "Where're you going?"

"There was a lot of food in that house." She explained. "I've got mouths to feed. Should be safe enough now."

"Can I ask you a question?" The Doctor asked. "Who did you lose?"

She stopped. "What?"

"The way you look after all of those kids," Rose added. "It's because you lost somebody, isn't it? You're doing all this to make up for it."

She gave a small nod. "My little brother. Jamie. One night I went out looking for food. The same night that thing fell. I told him not to follow me, I told him it was dangerous, but he just . . he just didn't like being on his own."

"What happened?"

She glared at her. "In the middle of an air raid? What do you think happened?"

"Amazing." The Doctor murmured.

"What is?"

"1941." He began giving details. "Right now, not very far from here, the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it. Nothing. Until one, tiny, damp little island says no. No. Not here. A mouse in front of a lion." He shook his head, "You're amazing, the lot of you. Don't know what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me. Off you go then do what you've got to do. Save the world."

After watching Nancy walk off they then made their way to the hospital. He soniced the padlock then lead her through the doors. They found one of the wards and stood there shocked. Every bed was full of still patients, laying on their beds and not moving a muscle.

And they were all wearing gas masks.

"You'll find them everywhere." An old voice told the two of them. The Doctor and Rose looked over to see an older man in a doctor's coat walk in, using a walking stick. "In every bed. In every ward. Hundreds of them."

"Yes, I saw." The Doctor spoke.

"Why are they all still wearing their gas masks?" Rose asked, standing at the Doctors side.

"They're not. Who are you two? A couple, perhaps?"

"Oh no!" Rose laughed. "He and my sister kinda have a thing."