22

"Rise and shine, initiates." The sound of metal clanging is heard around the room before Four's voice echos around the room. "Get dressed and be on the train in fifteen minutes."

I groan and sit up, wiping at my eyes. "What time is it?"

"The clock says it's eight forty-five," Tera says groggily.

Finn gasps and his eyes go wide. "It's after eight."

"Yeah..." I raise a brow, confused as to why he looks so worried. "What's your point?"

"Four always wakes us up before eight."

Realization dawns on Tera and I, a look of horror on both of our faces.

"We missed the fear landscapes." As Tera says this, her faces goes pale and her jaw drops. "What if we're getting punished?"

Oliver chuckles, making the three of us all turn to look at him. "Guys, I think you are getting upset over nothing. We would have heard Four if he came in here earlier."

"You're probably right," Finn says, visibly relaxing.

"Well, let's hurry up and head outside," I say, mid-yawn.

"I wonder what we're doing," Tera says.

I spread my blanket across my bed before opening the trunk at the end of my bed. I pull out a t-shirt, some jeans, and some socks. I notice a thin hoodie at the bottom of my pile of clothes and grab it. With it being early October, it is surely going to be slightly chilly outside. And I would really rather not end up in the infirmary.

I change out of the clothes I slept in and put on my clean ones. I pull up my socks and lace up my boots before slipping into my jacket and zipping it up. I run a brush through my hair before putting it back up in a pony tail. I glance at the clock. We have eight minutes to get outside and onto the train.

"Guys, we need to get going," I say. "We do not need to be late."

Oliver and Finn walk toward the door and we all wait for Tera. She tosses her hair up into a pony tail and rushes to us. I lead the way through the many halls before we finally make our way outside with the others. The sound of the train coming snaps my brain into focus.

I look around the group of people in black clothing, trying to catch my breath. My eyes find a certain pair of blue ones and my breath hitches in my throat. The events of last night flood into my mind. Tera may be right, about how something important came up, but she may also be wrong. 

I analyze his face. Remorse takes over his features, making me think that Tera may be right after all. I look away. There is not any point worrying about that right now, especially with all these wandering eyes around us.

"If last night was on purpose, his face would have given him away." Tera's give is only a whisper, but I hear her clearly. "He looks guilty, so you should let him explain when you two get the chance."

"That's what I was thinking," I say. "About the look on his face, I mean."

The sound of the train coming ends our conversation. Four and Eric start running, and a group follows close behind them. I start jogging before latching onto the handle and pulling myself into the train. Tera, Finn, and Oliver are right behind me.

I make my way to the far end of the train car and open the door to enter the next car. A group of initiates surround Eric and Four, and tubs of equipment surround them.

"Now that everyone is here," Eric's voice booms, "Four can explain what we are doing."

"Most of you do not know, but we are finished with the second stage of training." A collection of sighs is heard around the room. "We thought we would have a friendly competition to allow those of you who have a low rank to earn a higher one."