― 06. truth

"WHAT SCARES you the most in life?" Kaitlyn asked

                    "WHAT SCARES you the most in life?" Kaitlyn asked. She looked over at John as they sat in the park in the same place they had their first 'date'. The leaves on the trees were falling all around them as the scenery had turned from its green to the vibrant oranges and reds of Fall. A cool breeze blew through the park, making the tiny girl shiver through her coat and scarf.

   John sat there for a few seconds thinking. He didn't think about fear, he didn't allow himself to get caught up in that emotion, because it caused hesitation and weakness.

   "Come on, there's gotta be something!" she poked him with a cute pout on her lips.

   "I just, have never thought about it I guess."

   "Not even like spiders or snakes? I don't like either."

   "I didn't think you wanted an answer like that." John chuckled.

   "I suppose not." she frowned, "I get scared of something happening and I can't play the cello anymore. If I stop I want it to be on my own accords."

   "That's reasonable," carefully, he reached across and took her hand and laced their fingers together. A sense of warmth washed over her as she grinned like a maniac, "I guess what scares me is the future. No one knows what's in store."

   "I like to think of that as a good thing. We have the power to change what our future is, we can always make it so it's something we look forward to." she replied thoughtfully, "that's what got me through my childhood in South Korea."

   "You're right." but John knew his future wasn't guaranteed by any means, and he didn't have the power she had to be able to wake up one day and change course. But he was okay with that, this was the only life he'd ever known. However- the concept of being able to change his future was alluring.

   Kaitlyn rested her head onto his shoulder, staring out over the pond. Few ducks remained on the water's surface, while all around them birds were beginning to flock ways away from here. The leaves fell majestically onto the ground and floating on top the water.

   "Are you cold? Would you like my jacket?"

   "No I'm okay, you shouldn't have to suffer because of me."

   "I won't be suffering in the slightest." she had to move momentarily as he stripped his jacket off, to then wrap it around her shoulders. The musk of his cologne hit her nose and it was rather comforting. She closed her eyes taking this moment in, as it was truly wonderful.