CHAPTER TWELVE

In preparation for the birth of Nate's potential son, the team of certified midwives in blue uniforms with white piping and disposable aprons descended on the estate

In preparation for the birth of Nate's potential son, the team of certified midwives in blue uniforms with white piping and disposable aprons descended on the estate. In the office, they sat ramrod on the sofa, taciturn and sombre, as I submitted fountain pens and non-disclosure agreements for them to sign.

Having borrowed and changed into one of my tracksuits, Alexa pulled herself onto the desk and tuned into the meeting.

"Sign." Turning down the volume of my thoughts, I went to the minbar. "You have a duty not to share sensitive information protected by the confidentiality agreement with an unauthorised party."

The midwives signed away morals and principles with the scrape of a pen.

"I will not sue you for violation or breaching the confidentiality agreement." Pouring Jameson into a Norlan whiskey glass, I screwed down the bottle lid. "I will kill you."

A slight unpleasantness silenced the room.

If the midwives were affected by the direct threat of death, I would not know. I stood with my back to them, enjoying the flavoursome taste of alcohol.

Punching the code to the safe, I fished out four envelopes, the seams wide open, tossed hush money into their clutches and eased into the leather chair behind the desk. "You accept money in exchange for clandestine childbirth and complete silence."

They listened.

Whiskey over-moisturised my lips as the fusion of malt and enthusiasm poured down my throat. "Is there anything you wish to discuss before Eddie escorts you to the room?"

One middle-aged female had a question. "Is the room prepared?"

Placing the glass on the desk, I picked up the folder provided by Nate and skimmed bullet points. "A bed with clean linen, dry towels, sterile gloves and aprons, a container for sharps disposal and temperature management for the baby."

"Is there a resuscitaire infant warmer?" Her legs are crossed at the knees. "Effective warming therapy is crucial for the baby."

I dumped the folder. "Temperature management covered it."

"There is no mention of expressed breast milk." She had the look of an honest soul. "May I advise syringe feeding small amounts of colostrum post birth? You can even store breast milk in the fridge until formula milk is delivered."

I am not equipped to help the pregnant lady produce milk.

"I came prepared." Unzipping the leather side bag, the midwife brandished an unboxed pack of sterile colostrum collectors. "Disposable syringes. Remember to sanitise your hands before feeding to protect the baby from infections." Ripping the wrapper, she demonstrated how to extract milk from her uniform-clad breast before hurling everything in the bin. "Place small amounts into the baby's mouth. Either onto the gum, cheek or tongue. Do not allow him to suck or squeeze milk into his mouth."