Chapter 29 the way out

“Miss Beckett.” A woman dressed in the de Silver uniform of white-blue polo and trousers embroider with the family crest approached me. I gave her a slightly startled glance; my first thought being that somehow they knew about Akram’s message to me but quickly reassured myself that it’s unlikely. “Lynette had requested your presence at the side office.”

Nodding I followed her, a little tentative about what it would be about. I had no reason to worry about Gerald’s plan not working, but there is always a little part of me that automatically aim for the worst scenario. In this case in me getting stuck in this place without any knowledge of what’s happening in the world.

On the bright side, Lynette was now contactable. I tried to maintain a poker face as I made my way to the side office, which is usually used in less important functions and meetings.

“Come in.” Lynette’s voice echoed behind the closed door as I knocked, opening it tentatively I poked my head in for a look before I stepped into the room. My eyes widened when they landed on Gerald, who nodded courtly at me as if it was the most natural thing in the world for us to see Lynette in an office together.

“What’s going on?” I asked, strolling towards the pair pretending I hadn’t got a clue in the world as to what was transpiring.

“Abigail,” Lynette began, turning towards me with her heels clicking on the tile floor creating an echo across the room. “Please, join us.”

I tried not to make a sarcastic comment as I took a closer step towards the conversing two, as if I had come by her request just to leave. “We are discussing a fairly serious matter.”

I gave Gerald a surreptitious look to see if he can confirm that this was part of his plan. “Your skills are apparently required.”

From the way she was saying it, I could tell that she didn’t like that at all. Which was surely a good thing; there was no love lost between us at all. Was the family bond there? Yes. But are there any real affection? At this stage, the answer is no. So far she had only proven herself as a less than caring family member unless she want something from you.

“Yes?” I urged, not having to fake the annoyed look I threw Gerald. That sneaky, emotional handicap knew I wanted to be kept in the loop and there he stood, blatantly ignoring me.

“Your expertise is needed on a mission,” Lynette started, her eyes darting between me and Gerald trying to intimidate the invisible link between us to surface. “There has been a recent spotting of a resilient group in the Himalaya Mountains and there is a possibility that they are remnants of the Ganesh family guard. They evaded all efforts to contact them and there are high chances that things will turn violent if we continued to engage. It might be easier if you approach since they would recognize you.”

My heart leaped at this new information; although still not sure how authenticated it was, the chance of someone who survived and uncaptured was like a beacon of hope. “What about the other group?” I asked, eager to hear the response. “If you don’t want me to go, just send them.”

Seeing right through my hidden agenda, Lynette shot me a reprimanding look. “They are too far away to be considered.” She said, and before I could open my mouth she quickly added with a note of finality. “They are at a safe location, somewhere in Europe.”

Closing my mouth I felt my heart sank as it considered this new piece of information. I had no idea where I was but from what I knew about Lynette, we had to be closer to the Himalayas than we are to Tom…

Pulling myself together I tried to hang onto the words Tom said before we parted ways. He will find me and I will find him. The world was a mess right now but as soon as everything settles down, we will find each other. No matter how long it takes.