15

Evan's POV:

When I went to Lexi's yesterday my (original) intentions weren't anything like what ended up taking place.

I went to check in on her check the status of my career... seeing if Katie was going to tell anyone what she witnessed.

I got distracted, so I didn't get to say everything I wanted to say to her about the situation, which is why I need to take care of it today.

"Ava, Grace!" I call from the couch. The twins come barreling into the room, slamming into the couch beside me. The look at me eagerly and I sigh, "why don't you guys come outside and play? It's a pretty day and it's supposed to rain this week."

They do as I suggest, grabbing their shoes and walking out the front door. I grab Mason and he comes outside too, drawing with chalk on our sidewalk.

I cross my fingers, hoping that Lexi will come outside at some point, and she does.

"Lexi." I say and she snaps her head up from her phone and walks over to me.

The girls greet her first with hugs, then Mason follows their lead.

I let them chat for a moment, but eventually send them away so I can say what needs to be said.

"Help me up." I say and extend my hand to her. She pulls me to my feet and grins. "Don't smirk at me like that. I'm getting old. I can't help it."

"Old my ass." Lexi laughs.

"Ha ha." I give a phony laugh and walk away from earshot of the girls. "Yesterday I got a little distracted, but I needed to talk to you about what you say to Katie, if you haven't already."

"You're asking me for favors after you just left me in bed? That's bold, Ev." Lexi teases me.

I roll my eyes and shake my head, not wanting to acknowledge how much I enjoyed yesterday morning with her.

"You know I had to go." I mutter.

She nods and smiles, "I'm going to meet with Katie right now actually. I haven't talked to her since... yeah." She frowns. I can tell the stress is eating her up, and I wish I could do something.

"She'll come around, Lex. She's your best friend for a reason, right?" I ask her, carefully nudging her shoulder with mine.

Her eyes meet mine and she doesn't look so convinced. "We'll see."

The silence fills the air between us until I let out a deep sigh, "whatever happens with you two... I need you to promise me that what happens between us stays there. Please, Lexi." I say.

Her head nods and she holds her pinky out. I shake my head and lock my finger with hers and she smiles, "just so you know, I don't take those lightly."

"Good, me either. It's sort of a staple in our household." I smile, nodding towards my kids. "You get your car fixed?" I ask her, noticing the keys in her hand.

"Mmhm. Mike fixed it... or paid someone." She shrugs.

"Good. Don't mess it up again." I taunt.

"Shut up, it wasn't even my fault." Lexi laughs and playfully punches my shoulder.

I unintentionally bite my lip and she notices it.

She shakes her head and smiles softly at me, "I'm gonna go. I don't wanna be late."

"Drive careful." I tell her as I watch her jog back across the yard to get into her car.

Lexi's POV: