Chapter 134

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Four

He and I were dancing in the moonlight.

His eyes were dark and he was smiling, not broad or anything extravagant, but for someone as hard as him I could see that softness lacing his features. My hair drifted weightlessly around me, flowering out and catching the light as he twirled me, my mind lost in a haze of bliss.

I was extended outwards, and then pulled back in, close to his chest.

Close to his heart, where he held me, swaying back and forth.

"You make me feel whole," he murmured into my ear, nipping it gently. "I love you."

I loved him too, so much.

The world shone in silvers and blues, and my heart sang--

"Ah, ah..." someone sneered, and the vision suddenly rippled. "None of that, Little One."

I was weightless, and the world was different, seamless and beautiful.

In a field of white and blue flowers, I walked.

Barefoot, dressed in white, the beautiful flowers blossoming near and far, their scent fresh and lovely. The field looked as if it never ended, the breeze lifting my long brown hair away from my back and sending it cascading behind me in silken ripples that carried no weight.

The wind was warm soft, the sun shining bright in a light blue sky and passing white clouds. Someone walked beside me, someone I didn't look at, someone who exuded warmth and comfort and safety.

Tired, I lay down in the field, on my back, looking straight up at the sky.

White doves looked down at me from their spot upon the tree branches, a few of them flying down and landing amongst the flowers near me. I felt happiness here, wonder, excitement, relief.

Freedom.

It was a place of freedom. A quiet place where I could be alone with my thoughts and dreams. My memories. My stories. Everything that calmed me. I could spend hours here, days... I could never wake. I did not want to wake.

I stared up at the sun, unblinking. Wondering at it. Confused by it.

I reached out my hand, large and elegant, and saw long white fingers tapering into unfamiliar fingernails. Callouses that were not mine graced them, wrinkles that did not mar my knuckles met my gaze, but before I could wonder at it someone's palm slid against my own and I turned.

A face.

A dark, handsome face, with eyes I knew so well that it almost woke me.

A smile, familiar and arrogant and loving, gazing at me as if I were the only person in the world.

"Jasper," Sebastian murmured, kissing the long white hand "My rose."

And there it came. The ache in my chest that made the soft breeze slowly die away. The realization that somehow made this warm vision turn cold. A dark shadow blocked out the sun. The lovely scent of flowers died away, replaced by the smell of iron and blood.

This wasn't my dream. That smile wasn't mine anymore. My sun, my light, was fading.

I wasn't myself, I wasn't me, and this sight, knowing what it meant... 

My heart immediately broke and the pain came.

High above, the sun turned black and the doves sitting in the trees wept as the plants withered--