Chapter 135

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Five

It was hot.

My skin was prickling as if bugs were crawling all over me.

And I was exhausted despite having slept for hours and hours at a time, on and off.

I couldn't see, it was hard to breathe, and the worst part of all was that I couldn't move my hands to wipe my face. I had cried a few times in here and I knew that everyone in the car had heard it, perhaps even Louise, but I didn't care anymore. I was unhappy and there was no point in hiding it.

It was like something in the world had shifted every element of life against me.

All of the bliss I'd been experiencing was gone and my bad luck was back, crashing down on me in waves as if to make up for the happiness. I was, however, reassured by the gentle patting I occasionally felt against the mountains of black fabric keeping me rolled into an uncomfortable burrito. Because of where the gesture was positioned, I knew it was Woody.

Mostly because I was sprawled out across his, Jak's, and Leo's laps.

None of us had expected the blonde to come outside as I was being wrapped up, but when everyone had panicked and tried to explain to him what was going on, he'd simply looked at everyone present with narrowed eyes and had flatly said that he was coming along with us.

Tiffany had been confused and bluntly asked about his memory being wiped. Leo's face had immediately twitched, and after a second he'd confessed that he'd remembered.

My heart had nearly beat itself out of my chest and I'd burst into tears of joy.

"He remembers!" I'd hissed, clutching Woody's shirt and shaking him in delight. "He just said he remembers! That means there's hope for everyone else, right? Right?!"

Woody had simply grinned and signed, 'I don't know since I've never experienced anything like this before, barring you and your own issues, but I have a good feeling about it. I'd say its possible for everyone if Leo could do it on his own power.'

When my eyes had widened hopefully, he'd stepped forward and hugged me tight before resuming the process of wrapping me up with Tiffany, Jak, Horst, and Louise helping.

Now?

It was eight hours later, I was dying of the heat cooking me coupled with the heat of the three werewolves keeping me stretched out comfortably, and the sun was out due to it being around four in the afternoon. Sure, the windows of the shiny new vehicle that Louise had bought with Sebastian's checks were all heavily tinted, but I could still feel the telltale prickles of discomfort.

It was tolerable, but not at all pleasant.

"Are you all right, Small One?" Jak finally asked, breaking the silence for the first time since we'd started the trip back to Michigan. "You have been quiet... and with all that has been happening, this cannot be easy for you. First with your mate and pack, and now... with your sister."

My heart squeezed and I closed my eyes to prevent more crying.

"Life goes on," I somehow managed to say. "She's... an old woman now."

"Yes, but still," Louise aggravatedly said, "it's normal to feel upset, Aerin. This isn't even close to something like a breakup for you and Sebastian. I heard everything from Jak and Horst since I called them when I couldn't get in touch with you. This whole situation is fucked."

"Yeah," I quietly agreed. "I know. I'll get through it, though, I'll make him remember. Leo finally remembered and it's only been a few days! There's gotta be a chance I can make the others remember me, too, right? I mean, sure, things were rocky at first but they all eventually accepted me as one of them and I even began to feel like we were all actually... a family."