fourteen - i'll miss you

I sat bored in the hospital chair. everything is happening on the outside. All news channels are going insane and even Nat is at capital hill explaining stuff.

Dad is all healed up. I'm waiting for him to be discharged and boy does it take long.

I struggled to keep from touching my lip. Come on stitches in lips feel weird. I would rather have a black eye.

I don't like to leave this hospital room because when I went down yesterday to get lunch, two people started questioning me. I can kiss my private life goodbye. But is all worth it because we took down HYDRA.

I turned on the tv. "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" A government official recited his words.

"I do." Nat was on screen. Her cover was blown. There's absolutely no secrets anymore.

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" Someone on the committee asked. I don't really understand all this.

"I don't know what there is left left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently." Dad will probably disappear along with me for awhile. I'm terrified for what's outside of these hospital walls.

"Well, he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus." I don't trust the government. I crossed my arms and grabbed a bag of Doritos that one of the security dudes had. He was very nice and gave me the rest of the bag.

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence." I smiled. "Preach Tasha!" I said through a mouthful. "Many of which you seem to have had a personal hand in telling." If only I was allowed to tell my personal hand in saying. I'll probably freeze up. Public speaking is not my forte.

"Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill." Ah, we love the government. But they do have a point, she has broken many laws and murdered people.

My mind brought me to Pierce. He's the first people I killed and hopefully the only one. He should be rotting in jail not rotting in a grave.

I brought out a dark side, I have to keep it in. I don't like the blood on my hands. Even if it's not innocent blood.

"You're not gonna put me in a prison. You're not gonna put any of us in a prison. You know why?"  Nat's words brought me from my sad thoughts.

"Do enlighten us."

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. So if you want to arrest me, arrest me. You'll know where to find me." Nat got up and walked out.

I stood up and opened the window. People were outside, Reporters and more. They knew my dad was here. But do they know I'm here? I could've been murdered in that HYDRA place. I could have died in New York or better yet in Siberia, under that ice.

The door opened and my dad emerged from it, he was out of a hospital gown. "Got the papers." He lifted them into view.

"Thank god, if I have to look at these beige walls any longer I'm going to go insane." I threw the bag of Doritos in the trash and wiped my hands with a napkin.

I stood up, going towards the door. "Hazel wait." I turned around. "Aren't we leaving?"

He pulled out a chair. "Sit down."