Gally [2]

Gally knew he came across as brute. As cruel. As the epitome of the kind of person anyone sane would truly despise. But, after all of his time here in the Glade, all he had faced, how many of his friends he'd seen die, he had turned into a person he wasn't overtly proud of. Despite how unforgiving his nature was, it helped him survive. Because of that, he never tried to change.

He also didn't hate Y/N. He never had. The impression he always gave though, was that he did. It's not that he didn't see her independence or strong will. He just knew the dire importance of everyone pulling their weight in the Glade. For anyone who looked weak on the outside, he assumed the worst and made an effort to toughen them up. If he wasn't the one to wear people to the bone, forcing them to grow up, no one would. Alby wasn't that kind of a leader. There had been a reason he pushed Thomas into the dirt the day he arrived outside of pure hotheaded cruelty. If he hadn't done it, Thomas would probably be dead and no one would have made it out of the maze.

"Hey, Gally! We found the last one. Caught her trying to run off." One of the men holding Y/N tight spat out. When everyone else had gotten loaded into the vans and brought off to this facility after the bombs dropped, Y/N made a break for it in the opposite direction. Despite her efforts, the men still managed to find her. But, she was glad now, because they didn't seem to be a threat. The fact that Gally was here though, she couldn't quite comprehend.

When Gally first saw the girl he used to constantly yell at and shove around, he hardly recognized her. It wasn't her face or body that he didn't recollect, it was the way she carried herself. She walked tall, shoulders straight and head raised high. Her face was cut up and bruised, but still identifiable nevertheless. When Gally finally signalled for the guards to let go, she pushed their arms away and strode towards her group of friends at a rapid pace. She never, ever would have done that back in the Glade.

Now, Gally was finally seeing the person he had been trying to bring out all that time ago.

Y/N's eyes met his once more, but broke away quickly. She crammed herself between Thomas and Newt, following them wherever they were going. It wasn't long before Gally brought the group to Lawrence, introducing Thomas. Not long after, the two were engrossed in a conversation, trying to make a deal. Gally took the small slice of time to talk to Y/N.

With every bit of confidence he had, Gally slipped his hand into Y/N's and pulled her out of the alcoved room and into the hall from which they'd originally came.

The girl pulled her hand away defensively, backing up a couple of steps. She was on edge, for many reasons, Gally assumed. She seemed to almost be afraid of him though, and that was the last thing he wanted right now.

"Look, Y/N—" Gally's voice broke out hesitantly. His entire body radiated discomfort as he shifted awkwardly, his hands clamped over the hilt of his gun. "You have every right to hate me. Hell, everyone does. I know I'm not your friend. But, please, just listen to me—"

Y/N's eyes welled with sympathy and she looked down to her feet for a quick moment before raising her eyes again. "You were always my friend, Gally. Sure, you were a jerk. But you needed to be one to keep the others in line. I knew that all along."

Gally swallowed hard. "You...you don't hate me?"

"Shit, Gally. Of course not." Y/N consoled, throwing her body at his. Gally felt as if his entire body was frozen, arms and legs stiff as lead pipes. But, with time, he slowly loosened up and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm glad you're still alive."

"Can't say Thomas would admit the same thing," He stifled a laugh. All he wanted to do was pick Y/N up, spin her around and hold her in his arms until the sun went down. Just a few seconds ago, he thought she was afraid of him still. But, it turned out, she was just in shock like everyone else had been.

Unfortunately, just like back in the Glade, he had a reputation to uphold here. That, however, wasn't going to stop him from reconnecting with Y/N on his own time. Reluctantly, he let go, face flushing ever so slightly as he turned to find Lawrence and his friends all looking his way with suspicion. He thought he'd dragged her off far enough, but apparently he was wrong.

"We need to talk later, alright?" Gally put his hands on Y/N's shoulders, turning away from the others slightly. Newt had a lot of hidden skills, and he was pretty sure lip reading was one of them. "I've got a lot to explain, to apologize for, to fix—"

"Ok," Y/N interrupted, knowing the others were getting anxious to have them back in the conversation. "Later. Now, let's go help Thomas."

"Yeah, ok." He nodded, pursing his lips. Gally turned on his heel, walking back the the group with a bounce in his step and Y/N at his side. They had already been through a lot, but it was nothing compared to what was about to come.