Thomas [4]

"It's a girl." Newt muttered under his breath, pushing a few stray hairs away from the greenies face to get a better look. Boys crowded around at the edges of the box fighting for a glance, blocking out any and all sun reaching down.

After some careful work, Newt and a few other boys managed to lift the girl out of the box and down onto the soft grass of the Glade. There, they goggled at her for a while before she began to show signs of waking up. The moment her eyes fluttered open, all of the boys jumped back as if she was going to explode like a match on kerosine. All of the shouts and cries which erupted from the group caught one Gladers attention in particular who never cared to greet the Greenies: Gally.

By the time the keeper of the builders stormed his way through the bustling crowd and laid eyes on the new Greenie, his mind went into a panicked, furious overdrive.

Gally was never one to like, or accept, any kind of change in the Glade. Whether it be a new type of animal for the slicers, any kind of unusual weather or someone falling ill, he'd lose his mind at any small difference from what he was used to. Of course, small things like new seeds for the garden would only throw a tangle in his day and put him in a bad mood. But a new greenie, one who wasn't supposed to be showing up today, and not a boy?

No one wanted to know how he'd react.

How he did react though, was worse than anyone expected.

"Get up," Gally shouted at the girl, his face reddened with aggravation and his hands swollen purely from all of the blood rushing through his veins. Then, he pulled the machete from off of his belt and held it towards her face.

"Woah!" Thomas was the only person brave enough, and able to override his shock, to interfere. "Gally put the knife down! Holy shit!"

The builders gaze didn't even shift and he obviously wasn't phased by Thomas' words. "GET OUT!" He hollered out raucously, his booming voice echoing off of the walls.

With panicked eyes, atrophied muscles and a racing heart, the girl scrambled to her feet, not waiting a single second before dashing off in the direction Thomas had just a few days ago. For better or for worse, she didn't fall like he had. She just kept going. Very obviously, she had locked onto the sight of the maze doors which, in this moment, probably looked more promising than a handful of strangers and a boy threatening her with a machete.

Thomas knew no one else was going to do anything. Everyones stupor had them locked in place, and surely the fear of Gally holding a machete wasn't helping either. But Thomas knew he could outrun Gally. He was out of his reach and could catch up to the Greenie before she got herself into too much trouble.

So, he did just that. He took off in the same direction as the girl, running as fast as his legs would possibly carry him, knowing very well that his life depended on it. As he ran, he heard a few screams before something metal clanked against a rock just a few feet behind him. No need to look back, he figured, because he already knew what it was. Gally had been acting crazy lately, but this was beyond mad. Banishing someone, a girl at that, before she even had a chance to talk? Carelessly throwing a knife after a fellow Glader? Sure, Gally had it out for Thomas since he showed up, but this was new, unprecedented behaviour.

"Hey—hey," Thomas held out his hand, lowering himself down so he was crouching in front of the girl who was now stopped in a dead end of the maze. "It's okay."

"Right, you say that, but I just ran into this maze because some dude with a machete threatened me." She blabbered breathlessly. "How's that okay?"

"It started off like that for most of us," Thomas admitted. "Your greeting was just a little more extreme because that guy doesn't like change, and you're a girl. We haven't had any other girls show up here before."