Thomas [5]

Just minutes after being shown into the facility, in theory their safe house from WICKED and the scorch, Y/N was separated from the rest of the Gladers.

Thomas was told she was going to be brought back before everyone head off to bed. They didn't bring her.

The first night, he let it slide. The second, however, he didn't. Throughout the day, he taunted guards and pried at Janson any chance he got for answers. He got nothing sincere or concrete out of them, so he was willing to take his own desperate measures.

With the help of Aris and unmonitored air shafts, the boys crawled their way through the facility, past rooms full of other kids and over empty hallways. Eventually, they found a small medical room full of beds. In them were kids, one's with tubes poking out of their bodies in all different directions. Unlabelled liquids pored into their bodies while at the same time their blood was being drained.

Among those few kids, for better or for worse, was Y/N. She lay there with her eyes up at the ceiling. Unalike to the others, she wasn't fast asleep, but seemed like she was thinking restlessly.

"Psst," Thomas whispered. "Y/N."

The girl slowly turned her head and suddenly her eyes lit up, Thomas then racing to the side of her bed.

"We're here to get you out." Aris explained because Thomas wasn't speaking a single word.

"Okay," Y/N whispered. "But we've gotta be quiet and quick. They have us under constant watch."

With that, Thomas impulsively tore away all of the IV's and other tubes away from Y/N's body and stood her up. The three of the made a break for the air vent and just disappeared inside of it before angry voices filled the air. Sirens began to wail, red flashing lights dancing on the walls in a panic.

When they made it back to the room, Aris bid his farewell. "This is all you now, man. Sorry." He shrugged and scrambled off.

Thomas immediately pushed Y/N to the back of the room, hiding her behind his fellow Gladers who he trusted with his life. He already knew Janson was on his way here, and though he wasn't prepared, all that mattered was that the guards didn't have easy access to her.

Sure enough, Rat Man had his men kicked open the door. It sent a gust of air into Thomas' face, stunning him for a moment, just like how the first time the maze doors closed had. There, Janson stood with a stoic face, but his eyes burned with aggravation.

"Thomas..." He said lowly and slowly, holding out his arm. As if that was going to calm Thomas down in this situation. If anything, it only put him more on guard.

"You're not taking her again. Alright?" Thomas panted, his body trembling.

"We just need to keep an eye on her vitals, Thomas. Nothing more." Janson tried to make everything seem like it was innocent when Thomas knew it was far from just that.

The boy raised his brow, unconvinced. "Oh yeah? So what was that stuff you were pouring into her? Or why were you taking her blood?"

Janson seemed to be a little stunned. "You kids we're deprived of a lot of vital nutrients in the maze trials. It was just a little concoction our doctors made up for kids who were especially low."

"Bullshit." Thomas chided.

It was as if Janson had some silent que because suddenly his men charged Thomas, knocking him back a few feet. But, somehow, the boy held his ground. And, of course, began to throw any and as many punches as possible. He was a flurry of anger, his adrenaline completely taking over any and every piece of his consciousness.

He only came back to when he was on his knees, his vision blurry and the floor below him doused in red from the blood falling from his nose. Two guards lay in his peripheral, unmoving. He coughed a couple of times, a sharp pain flashing across his ribcage. Looking up with heavy eyelids and an aching skull, he met eyes with Janson who eyed him with reproach.

A quick second was taken while Thomas looked back agonizingly slowly to his friends, Y/N luckily still there in the midst. He then turned back to Rat Man.

"I said she's not going with you." He wiped the blood from his mouth and Newt as well as the others watched in disbelief. They all knew Thomas was loyal to his friends and would do anything for them, but he had a different look in his eyes this time around. She really did bring out the worst in him.

"You will regret that, Thomas." The man sneered.

With that, Janson had backup arrive, but he only ordered them to drag out the other guards from the room. Carefully, he backed out of the room, sure to slam the door as loud as possible and very evidently lock it.

"Shit, Thomas." Minho marvelled. "You're one crazy dude."