― 08. forever

time skip

time skip

                         KAITLYN IS sitting on the couch in her apartment, looking through pages of sheet music and going over notes, fingerings, dynamics- everything she needs to master. These next few weeks are important for the Symphony and there isn't much time to ready the new music. On top of that, she hopes John will be back from his job soon. At this point he practically lives here so she keeps waiting for him to walk through the door, eyes flickering over every few minutes. Trusting John and letting their relationship blossom has been the best thing to ever happen to her. She's with a man with the biggest and softest heart alive, and it's amazing. She is safe and loved.

   A few hours prior John had to leave for another fun day at work. And as concentrated as she is on her music, her mind will still spin with worry about him and when he'll be home (if at all). He's a gentle man doing a dangerous profession and she has to live with that now. She tries not to pry and he tries not to burden her with the facts of his life. But when he comes to her hurt, bleeding, bruised, and limping- it's hard, harder than anything to keep her emotions in check. However, she's so in love with him and she cares so much that his job doesn't make her fear him.

   Kaitlyn is completely focused on the papers in her hands that she doesn't hear the apartment door click open. The figure of a man stands in the doorway admiring what he sees as he enters. Her attentiveness to her music makes him smile; how she quickly grabs a pencil to jot notes down, hums to herself, and brushes her hair out of her face because she's too stubborn to put it back in a ponytail. He's ignoring his aching body because this moment is too enjoyable.

   "Katie, sweetheart," he calls out quietly hoping to gain her attention.

   Her head quickly snaps up and she smiles big at him, "John!" However, that smile fades as she has a better look at him. He is standing there in his perfectly tailored suit, but extremely beat up. If he hadn't been in all black than red blood stains would have cursed him. She gravitates right over to him, her hand centimeters away from where she sees cuts in the fabric. His face only has a gash on his cheek where she can already see stitches.

   "I already got patched up at the Continental," he says, "I didn't want to come home to you in the shape I was."

   "Worse than usual?" she whispers.

   "Yes."

   "Okay." John ushers her from the door and to the couch as if he stands any longer he'll collapse, "where are you hurt the most?" she then asks.

   "Ribs.. But I'm okay. You should go get your sleep soon,"

   "You should too." Kaitlyn carefully places a hand onto his arm, "you should also get cleaned up and in pajamas... I worry about you a lot John, even though I know you're strong.."