Chapter 28

"Stop struggling."

A warm breath tickled my ears and finally made me aware of the soft line of sparks the arm wrapped around my middle was causing. There was only one person who had such an effect on me.

"Ja—" I began to mumble through the hand still clasped over my mouth.

"Sh!" Jared shushed me and pulled my even tighter against his front.

Before I could start to form any ideas on what he was doing, a snap of movement from the other end of the hallway caught my attention. A dark figure rushed forward and gripped Sasha's wrist just before she could descend the first stair.

"Holly Priestess!" The said girl squeaked and jumped around to face the culprit.

"Where do you think you're going?" The cold question came from Dyson, who was holding Sasha's wrist in what looked like an unbreakable hold.

"Dyson! You scared me." She tugged on her arm, but Dyson continued to hold on to her. "Let go of me."

"Not until you explain where you're going in the middle of the night," he growled.

"The underground floor, why?" Sasha lifted her leg back up from the stair and straightened her spine. "Don't tell me you actually think I'm running away?"

"What else am I supposed to think?"

"How about the fact that I forgot all of my herbs and the new potion down there?" she said "It's your fault, you know? If you hadn't barged in there and kissed me, I wouldn't have forgotten about them."

"The kiss affected you that much?" Despite the darkness I could hear the smug undertone that sneaked into Dyson's voice.

"Th... That's not the point," Sasha stuttered. "The point is—"

"Come." Dyson tugged on her arm and pulled her back down the hallway where he had come from. "I'll help you forget about the potion again."

A moment later they disappeared around the corner, which left Jared and me alone in the now deadly silent hallway.

"I think they're going to be alright," I whispered the second Jared removed his hand off my mouth and spun me around to face him. "Dyson already looks smitten."

"At least he'll stop being a brooding ass now." Jared shook his head and then focused his eyes on me. "Mind telling me what you're doing out of bed at this hour?"

"I couldn't sleep."

Even before I finished the last word, Jared grasped my hand and forced me to follow him back down the hallway. Instead of escorting me back to my room, he stopped in front of his room. Without wasting a second he pulled me inside the said room and then shut the door with a soft click.

"I'll help you fall asleep," he whispered.

An instant blush flushed across my cheeks, which made me more than just a little grateful for the darkness the room was enveloped in.

"What are you thinking?" He tugged me toward the bed.

"No... Nothing." I felt like my body had turned into a stiff board by the time we reached the king-sized bed.

"Don't worry. I only mean to sleep," he chuckled and then pulled me onto the bed.

He settled on the side closer to the door, and lay down on his back. For a second I contemplated making a run for my room, but then I pushed the silly thought away. There was no denying that I actually wanted to stay with him.

I settled onto my side, facing away from him. The second my head hit the pillow, however, he flipped me around. I ended up with my head propped against his shoulder, and his arms keeping me pinned to his warm body.