𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

YOU'RE NOT BULLSHIT !

☀︎

MAX'S GRIP ON THE STEERING WHEEL OF BILLY'S CAR HAD BEEN TIGHT ENOUGH TO TURN HER KNUCKLES WHITE. Lucas had been calling out directions while Mike and Dustin had been squished together in the backseat with Alex and Steve. In the middle, Steve had been slumped over unconscious with Dustin holding an ice pack to his head. On his lap, Alex had finally given in to what her body had wanted and closed her eyes to take a rest as she leaned back onto Steve at the beginning of the ride.

When she had woken up, her head had hurt, and immediate confusion had taken over. Sitting up straight, she looked around the backseat of the car. "What's going on?" she groaned as she rubbed the top of her head.

"We're sticking to the plan, remember," Mike spoke up. Her brows had furrowed together as she looked at him, until she had seen the gasoline container on his lap. They were headed to the tunnels to search for the hub and set it all on fire. It was a perfect plan to her before, but after Billy, Alex was certain that maybe Hopper was right about not getting involved— trouble already seemed to find them well enough.

"Oh my god," she whispered. Briefly shutting her eyes, she had shaken her head, "No, come on, guys, this is crazy. My head hurts too much."

"Oh, then take this," Dustin said and slapped down the ice pack on her head. Groaning, Alex pushed it off her. Placing her head in her hands, she had tried to push back the headache forming. "How are we even driving? Steve's still out."

"Take a right here," Lucas said quietly. He had given the backseat a side eye, checking to see if Alex had overheard. However, he was instead greeted by her head shooting up out of her hands to meet his eyes. Just as fast as she looked at him, she had looked right to Max who had both hands on the wheel and a box on the gas in order for her to even reach.

Feeling sick inside, Alex held onto the front seats. "Oh my god, stop the car."

"No way! We're almost there," Lucas scoffed. Focusing back in on the map, he had trailed his finger over it in hopes of getting a good idea of where they were.

"I'm gonna be sick! Pull over!"

"Sh, it's okay," Mike said softly, pushing her back down onto Steve, "Go back to thinking you're our dad."

Startled by such a random statement, she had pushed his hand off her and sat back up. "What are you talking about?" Holding her head, she felt that it had all been a dream. "Am I dead?

"Calm down, Alex! Be the cool dad again!" Dustin yelled, startling her.

"Oh hey, Steve's waking up!" Mike pointed behind Alex to a groggy Steve, trying to open his eyes. "Oh, sorry. I mean, Momma Steve is waking up everyone! Get your baseball mitts for practice!"