[ CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ]

1114, Italy

She awoke with a gasp, filling her lungs with air as she jolted upwards, eyes madly flickering to her surroundings as she met Niklaus' gaze. He was stood above her, his entire body smudged and stained with blood, though it was not his.

The metallic scent tickled her nose, taunting her as she hungrily grasped his arm. He seemed somewhat cold as he reached down, sticky fingers running along her cheekbone, leaving a crimson trail behind as he continued to assess her.

His usually expressive bright orbs were darkened as he leaned down. "I thought I lost you, but don't worry, love. I fixed everything." Nik's voice was void of any emotion.

Furrowing her brows together, Astrid tried to make sense of what had happened, the last thing she could recall was entering a peaceful slumber, only for everything to go... cold.

A pain she had never felt before had radiated deep within her chest, as if she had been stabbed in the heart, but this time she hadn't healed.

Lips parting, Astrid struggled to find words as Niklaus continued to stroke her cheekbone.

Though he was being nothing but gentle and loving towards her, Astrid could not help but find Niklaus terrifying at that moment. Despite his calm exterior, his eyes were stormy with anger and hatred, a shiver ran down Astrid's spine.

"Nik, what happened?" Astrid murmured, disorientated as she tried to puzzle the situation together, to make sense of what had happened to her, and why Niklaus was covered in blood.

They were in the home of the five, surely Niklaus was not foolish enough to openly shed blood within their walls, not without covering his track.

Without a word leaving the shapely lips Astrid desired, Niklaus took a small step to the side, his boots squelching as Astrid let out a small gasp in surprise.

Suspended to the wall, sword plunged into his heart was Alexander, one of the five, and Rebekah's betrothed. It took all of one minute for Astrid to realize that herself and Niklaus were not in their chambers but Rebekah's.

"Nik what did you do?" Astrid snapped, narrowing her eyes as she let her thoughts wonder to poor Rebekah. The blonde would be distraught...

Niklaus let out a dark chuckle, shaking his head before pointing behind Astrid. "More like, what did she do?" He seethed, teeth clenching as his voice lowered to a vicious snarl.

Slowly spinning around, Astrid met the sight of an unconscious Rebekah, whose eyes were fluttering beneath her lids, before they opened.

The blonde Mikaelson had the same reaction as Astrid as she jolted awake, throwing her body forward as she heaved.

Her rounded, shocked eyes immediately met Klaus, who had taken a step backwards, covering Alexander's body with his own.

Smothering a sob, Rebekah looked between Astrid and Klaus, her gaze desperate and confused. "What happened?"

"Ask him." Klaus kept his tone neutral as he slowly took a step to the side, revealing Alexander's body to Rebekah.

Astrid winced, placing a hand on Bekah's shoulders as she slumped forward, hand covering her mouth as she looked at the dead body of the man she had loved.

His voice continued to darken; his behaviour predatory as he motioned towards Alexander. "Only he cannot answer, because I have ripped out his tongue. Along with the rest of them."

Astrid swallowed as Rebekah's cries grew louder, her blond curls swishing as she shook her head. "Nik I had no idea." She cried.

Klaus glowered. "But you should have. Your only family was nearly wiped out because of your stupidity, my wife, Rebekah. What did he promise you?" Klaus questioned darkly, stepping forward as Astrid frowned.

"Nothing. Nothing." Rebekah sobbed, her tears flowing down her cheeks as Astrid stood, placing a hand on Niklaus' heaving form. She could practically feel the anger radiating within him.

He refused to meet her gaze as he focused on Rebekah. "Niklaus, please. I don't understand what's happening, but I'm sure if we-"

Astrid was cut off by Niklaus thundering voice. "He would not have made a move unless he knew you were vulnerable. You trusted him, over me! What did he promise you?" He stalked closer, gently pushing Astrid away as she watched on helplessly.

"Nothing, Nik. I swear."

She continued to hysterically cry, voice cracking as she tried to smother her cries through her clasped palm. "What did he promise you?!" Niklaus boomed, Astrid jolting back in surprise as she stared at her husband.

"Nothing, Nik, nothing." Rebekah pleaded as Niklaus jumped forwards, hands grabbing Rebekah roughly by the shoulders, yanking her up from the bed, standing her up as he shook her.

"Tell me, Rebekah!" His voice echoed off the stone walls as Rebekah continued to sob, shaking her head.

Astrid quickly pulled Rebekah from Niklaus' grip, enveloping the blonde into a hug. Rebekah felt like a child, hiding in the bosom of her mother as Astrid stroked her head.

"That is enough, Nik! You clean up this mess, and I will speak to Rebekah."

...

After much hesitation, Niklaus had allowed Astrid to take Rebekah to their shared bedchambers, which was free from blood. The blonde original hadn't stopped crying, her eyes growing red as Astrid tucked her beneath the covers before climbing in beside her.

Rebekah instantly cuddled into Astrid, laying her head on her chest as Astrid's fingers weaved through her long blonde curls. "I was so stupid."

Astrid frowned holding Rebekah close. This was what she had been afraid of all along, Rebekah being hurt.

"You were not stupid, he was a cruel man, who got what he deserved." Astrid decided, though Niklaus hadn't handled the situation the best, Alexander had deserved to die for how he had treated Rebekah, for using her sweet and gentle heart.

Fingers continuing to comb through Rebekah's unruly curls, Astrid frowned as Rebekah continued to sob, hiccupping as she tried to calm herself down.

"I-I loved him."

"Love can be blinding." Astrid murmured quietly.

She too had been blinded by love. Despite Niklaus flaws, his growing cold attitude and his suffocating, possessive behaviour, she found herself condemning anything he did.

It seemed no matter what he did, no matter how he treated her, she would love him fiercely.

Sniffling, Rebekah shifted slightly. "I wish to bury him." Rebekah mumbled as Astrid frowned.

Alexander didn't deserve to be buried, if it was up to Astrid, she would have left his body for the crows to pick at. "Rebekah."

"At the church we were supposed to be wed at." Rebekah decided, moving from Astrid's embrace as she sat up with Astrid following in pursuit.

As Rebekah rubbed her eyes, Astrid frowned. "Rebekah, I do not think-"

"Please, Astrid. You are my sister and I love you, surely you understand I must do this. I do not except you to help me, but please support me."

Sighing, Astrid cracked beneath Rebekah's wide-eyed, tearful gaze. "Very well, Bekah. You are too sweet for your own good."