Chapter 25: Healing

Morgan's Pov

I woke up in the middle of the night after I had fallen out of the chair I was in. Which also snapped me out of my shock. I sat up gently rubbing my head groaning in pain when my head shot up and I looked at Josh on the bed and I quickly stood up making myself dizzy for a moment and I gently placed my hand on his neck trying to feel his pulse. I felt his pulse strong and I sighed in relief. 

"Josh. I don't know if you can hear me right now, but I want you to know that I'm here." I smiled gently looking at him. His hair was a mess and he still had some dirt on him. He was pale and thin. "I promise you'll be okay." I grabbed his pinkie gently and I felt his pinkie gently tighten around mine and I smiled gently sitting beside him. 

He was fighting. I could not only see it but feel it at the same time. It went silent for a while while I listened to Josh's breathing. His pinkie was still wrapped around mine and I looked at his stomach which had the gauze wrapped around it. I gently let go of his hand to gently grab a medkit and come over.

"Remember when the cruise ship sank? Right before I had gotten beat up and you helped me clean up my face due to swelling and bruises." I smiled gently re-wrapping his wound gently. He took a deeper breath after I had stopped talking and I looked at him.

"Just keep breathing. I'll be here." I said and I gently kissed his head and I felt him relax. 

~~~

It had been a week. Josh hadn't woken up entirely. He made small noises every so often that were his signs he was healing slowly. I stayed by his side not moving. That was until his eyes slowly opened and he looked around confused and squinted at the bright light. I looked at him shocked for a moment before the uninvited tears began streaming down my face and I took a sharp breath and his head turned to me. 

"M-Morgan?" He asked. I nodded at the same time we both wrapped our arms around each other staying as close to each other as possible. I broke down sobbing and shaking as his arms were around me and he gently rested his head in my shoulder. 

"I'm here. I'm here." He said quietly and I nodded vigorously while tears streamed down my face. I buried my head in his shoulder clutching his shirt he was wearing as if I would never see him again. "Tell me what happened. I can't remember much. Only bits and pieces." He said gently.

"Y-You got stabbed so I had to be the one who killed Agatha. She admitted to bringing the cruise ship down and I had to kill her somehow. One of her teammates accidentally dropped a bomb on her killing her instantly." I said trying to stop crying and failing. He gently kissed my head.

"I'll be okay. I'm here. It'll be alright." He said smiling gently. I looked at him and smiled gently while the tears still streamed and he gently pecked me and smiled back.

~~~

Josh was sitting down on the couch. It had been a few weeks. 3 to be exact. I sat next to him with my head on his lap gently and him gently running his fingers through my hair. Donovan came in with Shelby. She saw me and she ran over to me at the same time I sat up. We quickly hugged each other. I had kept so close of tabs on Josh that I didn't spend much time with Shelby. I could now.

"Oh my god! Morgan, It's freaking amazing! Come on! I need to fangirl for a moment with you!" She squeaked. I chuckled and followed her out to the backyard where the fence was absolutely demolished. The post-apocalyptic backyard was surprisingly comforting. The grassy field with the fixed picket fence only reminded me of what was to come and the struggles. This reminded me that I fought that struggle, and I won.

I sat down next to Shelby and she began talking at the speed of light. I chuckled moving my hands in a signal to slow down a bit. She took a deep breath and tried again.

"Okay. Donovan. Your sister's ex-boyfriend yeah?" She said. I nodded.

"Yeah, but they aren't exes by choice," I said sighing sadly at the end and Shelby gave me a sad look but she continued.

"Well..." she started. I looked at her. Her face was slightly pink and she was fidgeting her fingers. She was nervous.

"Spit it out." I laughed gently and that's just what she did.

"I think I like Donovan." She whispered as if he would walk behind her and hear her. I smiled.

"Aw! My little Shelby is growing up!" I squeaking hugging her and she turned redder than a strawberry.

"P-Please let go." She squeaked. I listened and finally let go of her smiling like a dork. Of all the time I had known Shelby, she had never really liked anyone. I don't know if I approved of Donovan considering how he and I met in the first place. I would only approve of it if he treated Shelby well and did not hurt her. Cause I'll cut a bitch.

Shelby and I talked for a bit until Donovan came out and brought us back in and I went to Josh who was sleeping on the couch peacefully. I smiled gently before getting him a blanket and gently covering him with it. He smiled gently in his sleep and I kneeled down gently kissing his head.

"Sleep well, Josh," I said smiling gently.