Chapter 44. The Change

Two months later....

Daniel's POV

I dragged myself across the tiled floor feeling the heaviness still weighing my heart.

Two months

It's been two months since that day and I still can't forget it. A lot has changed ever since. I also came to know that Kiana had injected strong wolvesbane into Ari's system which had led her to her contemporary death. . .

Kiana. She's dead. But she sure left something to remember her for, more like, curse her for.

My hands clenched into a fist. Only if I wasn't as stupid as I am. Only if I would've saved Ari from getting abducted that day. Things wouldn't have gone this far. . .

These thoughts mulled over in my head as I made my way into the now empty kitchen. The servants and maids must be fast asleep at this hour of night which gives me the perfect chance to grab a drink.

Once in the kitchen, I check my surrounding for confirmation. Finding the coast clear, I head over to the fridge and grab two sachets of blood from the blood sachets conserved for the servants who are vampires. Still holding the sachets, my other hand fishes out a vessel from the cabinets to heat the blood in.

I pour the blood into the vessel, heat it and then pour the entire content into a large glass before heading out of the kitchen after cleaning up the place so no one suspects anything.

Even my footsteps are slow and alert as I head to my room. The moment I'm in front of my room without bumping into any of the wandering servants, I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder but that soon turns into a sigh as I turn the door knob and enter my room. Painful sobs are heard which clenched my heart.

"Ari?" I shut the door behind me and took into the scene on front of me.

There was a dead corpse of a woman--possibly a maid of the mansion--sprawled across the floor, eyes wide open, blood oozing out of her neck. Next to that woman, sat Ari in the puddle of blood, her knees folded up to her chest, her head buried in her hands as she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Daniel, I did it again. I'm sorry. I just couldn't control." The weight in my chest intensified listening to her broken voice.

I know how much she hated all this. My Ari who wouldn't even hurt a fly intentionally had out of instinct killed many people recently which I know must be killing her from inside.

Placing the glass of blood on the night stand, I scooted down next to Ari, moved her hands away from her face and held her face gently, wiping the remnants of blood around her mouth with my hands.

"It's okay, Ari. I know you didn't do it on purpose. I know," I wiped the tears on her soft cheeks but they kept pouring down her eyes.

"But she is dead. She must be having a family. What would I tell to them?" Ari whimpered referring to the maid she just killed.

I pulled her into my embrace, "She doesn't have a family." I tried to console Ari although I have no idea whether the maid was an orphan or had any siblings. The only thing I know is that I've made sure all the maids who visited Ari were the ones seeking black magic, that is, they're all developing black witches but Ari doesn't understand she's saving others by killing the heartless black witches. For her, everyone's innocent. My Ari, what am I going to do with you?

"It still doesn't give me the right to kill her. I'm a horrible person. I should've died instead," she said trying to pull away from my embrace.

I held her firmly, rubbing her back in a comforting way when she struggled to get out of my hold, "No, Ari, you're not. You're a lovely person. And I love you for who you are. Don't you ever talk about dying. Do you know how hard it was for me to see you die? How I felt like dying myself? What will I do without you?"