Chapter 9: The arrive of Rohirrim

All went well that day, and no sight or sound had they of the enemy waiting to waylay them. The Wild Men had put out a screen of wary hunters, so that no orc or roving spy should learn of the movements in the hills. The light was more dim than ever as they drew nearer to the beleaguered city, and the Riders passed in long files like dark shadows of men and horses. Each company was guided by a wild woodman, but old Ghân walked beside the king. The start had been slower than was hoped, for it had taken time for the Riders, walking and leading their horses, to find paths over the thickly wooded ridges behind their camp and down into the hidden Stonewain Valley. It was late in the afternoon when the leaders came to wide grey thickets stretching beyond the eastward side of Amon Dîn, and masking a great gap in the line of hills that from Nardol to Dîn ran east and west.

The leading company was halted, and as those behind filed up out of the trough of the Stonewain Valley they spread out and passed to camping-places under the grey trees. The king summoned the captains to council. Éomer sent out scouts to spy upon the road, but old Ghân shook his head.

"No good to send Horse-men," he said. "Wild Men have already seen all that can be seen in the bad air. They will come soon and speak to me here."

The captains came, and then out of the trees crept warily other púkel-shapes so like old Ghân. They spoke to Ghân in a strange throaty language.

Presently Ghân turned to the king. "Wild Men say many things," he said. "First, be wary! Still many men in camp beyond Dîn, an hour's walk yonder," he waved his arm west towards the black beacon. "But none to see between here and Stone-folk's new walls. Many busy there. Walls stand up no longer: gorgûn knock them down with earth-thunder and with clubs of black iron. They are unwary and do not look about them. They think their friends watch all roads!" At that old Ghân made a curious gurgling noise, and it seemed that he was laughing.

"Good tidings!" cried Éomer. "Even in this gloom hope gleams again. Our Enemy's devices oft serve us in his despite. The accursed darkness itself has been a cloak to us. And now, lusting to destroy Gondor and throw it down stone from stone, his orcs have taken away my greatest fear. The out-wall could have been held long against us. Now we can sweep through – if once we win so far.'

"Once again I thank you, Ghân-buri-Ghân of the woods," said Théoden. "Good fortune go with you for tidings and for guidance!"

"Kill gorgûn! Kill orc-folk! No other words please Wild Men," answered Ghân. "Drive away bad air and darkness with bright iron!" he turned to Niphredil and his eyes gleamed. "let the star shine again." he said and then squatted down and touched the earth with his horny brow in token of farewell. Then he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air. A light came in his eyes.

"Wind is changing!" he cried, and with that, in a twinkling as it seemed, he and his fellows had vanished into the glooms, never to be seen by any Rider of Rohan again.

It was night. On either side of the road, the host of Rohan was moving silently. Now the road passing about the skirts of Mindolluin turned southward. Far away and almost straight ahead there was a red glow under the black sky and the sides of the great mountain loomed dark against it. Mordor. There the clouds could be seen which were changing color from Yellow to orange and red because of fires of Mount Doom. Niphredil was weak. She could feel the foul spirit of Sauron. She was using most of her power to shield herself against him so he couldn't find her location by any chance.

Niphredil was riding beside the king who rode in the midst of the leading company, his household-men about him. she could see Eowyn and Merry just behind the king. Soon the Out-riders came back.

"There are great fires, lord," said one. "The City is all set about with flame, and the field is full of foes. But all seem drawn off to the assault. As well as we could guess, there are few left upon the out-wall, and they are heedless, busy in destruction."

Pippin and Gandalf were in Minas Tirith. Pippin's face came to Niphredil's mind. She couldn't bear his death too. Frodo, Haldir, and Boromir were enough for her. she remembered Pippin's happy face and then she felt a rush of energy in her veins. Sauron should pay for what he had done. She was Niphredil Elentary who was gifted with the power of the light. She was not letting darkness to ruin everything.

One of the men suddenly felt something. "Do you remember the Wild Man's words, lord?" he said. "I live upon the open Wold in days of peace, Wídfara is my name, and to me also the air brings messages. Already the wind is turning. There comes a breath out of the South, there is a sea-tang in it, faint though it be. The morning will bring new things. Above the reek it will be dawn when you pass the wall."

"If you speak truly, Wídfara, then may you live beyond this day in years of blessedness!" said Théoden.

"may us ride in no hiding now. Let us distract the enemy so those who are still fighting inside of the walls can have a chance to recover." Said Niphredil aloud. It was the first time she was talking after a long time, but she was not pale anymore. It was like a light was glowing from inside of her. she rode ahead in the fields on her silver horse. a light in the darkness. Theoden and his mark followed her. when she saw the walls of the city, she halted. The fields of Pelennor were covered by the host of the enemy. They could hear the cry of Nazgul and could see their ugly beasts flying around the city.

Theoden stood beside her. "so, we come to our end at last." He said. The sight of the enemy's army had troubled his heart.

"no more delay is allowed, now." Said Niphredil and drew her sword. Her determination gave Theoden new courage. He turned to the men of his household who were near, and he spoke now in a clear voice so that many also of the riders of the first éored heard him:

"Now is the hour come, Riders of the Mark, sons of Eorl! Foes and fire are before you, and your homes far behind. Yet, though you fight upon an alien field, the glory that you reap there shall be your own forever. Oaths ye have taken: now fulfill them all, to lord and land and league of friendship!" Men clashed spears upon shields. They blew into the horns and the sound of the Rohan's horns raised against the cry of Nazgul.

Niphredil saw the host of the enemy got aware of them and moved to line up against them. she rode to Merry and Eowyn. "stay close to me. I will protect you." she said to both of them. She then looked at Merry who was clenching his sword in his hand. "Courage, Merry. Courage for our friends." She said and saw the magic of her words made Merry calmer. He nodded at her. She then turned to the city.

Theoden began to gallop in front of the line of riders. "Eomer, take your Eored down the left flank." He ordered as he went along the line of his captains. "Gamling, follow the king's banner down the center. Grimbold, take your company right after you pass the wall." He then halted in the middle and drew his sword. "Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, and the sun rises! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending! Death!" he shouted.

"Death!" cried back the Mark together.

"Death!" shouted Theoden again.

Niphredil felt the eye of Sauron found her and focused on her. "You chose the wrong side, Niphredil." she heard Sauron's voice in her head but she didn't freak out this time. The fire that was inside of her was protecting her. "We will see." She responded and then Lótë neighed and galloped ahead like an arrow which was released from the bow with all power. Niphredil raised her sword and as she did a strong wind blew and pushed back the clouds of Mordor and the rays of the new rising sun lighted up the plains and blinded the Orcs who had lined up against them. The riders were behind her. she reached the line of the Orcs and with a cry, she cut the head of the first Orc.