four: darius, the...manwh*re

Cara

With every step he took, I had to take two to match his pace.

When I finally came to my senses, I stormed a foot down and pried my wrist out of his grip. He stopped in his tracks and turned to face me.

"What do you think you're doing?" I hoped to sound menacing but it came out as a soft whisper.

Then, I blacked out.

-----

Darius

"Let's cut to the chase. What do you want, Hannington? What's it going to take to get back into his books? I'm sure there's a reason you insist on meeting here tonight instead of your usual...haunts." It was a question I knew the answer all too well to. When Raz told me that Hannington politely requested to have our discussion at the View, I knew. Word has it that the Hannington's were looking into expanding into LA's lucrative culinary scene and with View being one of the hottest spots in the city, it came as no surprise that giving it up would be the price I had to pay.

Just like Lifestyle, the View was handed to me in tatters - a failing, greasy American diner situated unreasonably far from the city's greatest attractions. Sure, the view was magnificent, but customers were dwindling because of its inconvenient location. But I saw that as the perfect opportunity. I turned that around. Fast forward to a year later, and the View has become one of the most upscale, posh restaurants catered only to the mega-rich who were willing to fork out any price in exchange for the isolation and privacy.

I was never one to back down from a challenge.

What I didn't know that night, however, was that she would be serving us.

It was impossible to miss her. She had the kind of beauty that stood out from the crowd, the kind of beauty that was effortless yet sophisticated at the same time. Her black hair was swept elegantly to the side, unwittingly exposing that sweet spot between her neck and shoulder that would drive any man wild.

I followed her gaze and found myself staring at the Dom Perignon in front of me. Was a bottle of champagne more interesting than me? Hell, I'm Darius Alexander Clemonte.

For the first time in a while, I actually wanted someone to recognise me. Never mind the fake smiles or the knowing glances that typically followed,  I wanted her attention.

How would she react if she knew I was the one who saved her? Why did she run away? Is she a model by day, waitress by night? What's her story?

'Let's make a deal,' Hannington's sleazy voice snapped me back to reality. Nonchalantly, I returned my gaze to him. Someone needs to tell the man that green is definitely not his colour. He looked like an evil leprechaun.

His beady eyes landed on her before he broke into a knowing grin.

F*cking hell.

She backed away towards the door. From the way his eyes gleamed, it only excited him more.

"You there. Over here." I could feel my anger simmering under the surface. That was definitely not the way to order anyone around, much less her.

Hesitantly, she lifted her head up. Not to look at me, but him. I scowled in annoyance.

"M-me?"

Slowly, she turned to face me. I held my breath when her eyes finally found mine.

Those hazel orbs widened in shock as a mix of fear and confusion washed over her face. Right then, I knew that more than anything else in the world, I wanted to protect her.