Chapter 32- Sophie

Tam seemed really frazzled after his call to Wylie. He kept looking at Linh in shock as if he couldn't believe what she had done. Poor Linh looked so confused and innocent, she was looking at Tam, a puzzled expression on her face. 

Suddenly the door burst open. It was Della!

"Hello, guys!" Della said a smile on her face. "What have you been doing this entire time? It's almost lunch!" 

Linh smiled back. "Oh, we've been playing Truth-" 

"Nothing Mom!" Biana cried out, slamming her palm against Linh's mouth. "We've been...um...playing with one of my new...makeup brands called... Truth or Beauty?" 

Della raised one of her perfect eyebrows in confusion. "Truth or Beauty?" 

"Yeah!" Biana said, nodding her head a little bit too eagerly. "It's where I get my flawless complexion." To emphasize, she smoothed over her skin and smiled like a movie star. 

"Okay then," Della said skeptically. "Well, come down for lunch as soon as you can okay? Oh, and I just forgot to tell you, your friend...Marella was it? Yes, Marella has just come over and is waiting for you in the kitchen." 

Then, Della walked out the door, closing it behind her. 

Biana sighed. "Linh!" she said. "You almost gave us away!" 

"Well, when a grown-up asks you a question, you should answer it honestly!" Linh protested. "And besides, what was she going to do even if she knew we were playing Truth or Dare?" 

"Lecture us, then become a really embarrassing Mom," Fitz explained. He gave his best impression of his Mom's voice. "Fitz! Biana! You were playing Truth or Dare after getting your lists? What happened? Tell me everything! DId you kiss somebody!?" 

We all started laughing after that, except Tam who was still shooting daggers at Linh. 

"Come on!" I said excitedly. "Marella is waiting and Della said so is lunch! Let's go!" 

We all raced downstairs and found the Vacker's elegant dining area, complete with white comfy sofas and a bar. 

Marella sat at a stool at the bar, looking as fiery as I remembered her to be. Her blond hair had her signature braids through it and was tied back into a bun. Her ice blue eyes were as big and bubbly as usual. 

Marella finally saw us and waved. "Hey guys!" she said. "I was waiting at the gate for you, but you never came to the gate! So, just when I was about to leave, Della came to the gate and let me in. I've been waiting in this kitchen for like, 10 minutes!" 

"Sorry to keep you waiting Marella," Dex said, turning a little red near her. I almost giggled. Dex's crush on Marella was really cute! I hoped that they would work out together because Dex has not had the very best luck with asking out the girls he liked. 

"It's no problem!" Marella said. "I got to eat a LOT of Mallowmelt, ripplefluffs, indigoobers, butterblasts, and custardbursts! I think that I've gained like 20 pounds!" 

"Lucky!" I protested. "Are there any more?" 

Marella stuck out her tongue. "Like I would leave you any after you didn't open the door? Nope!" she said laughing. 

"Now I wish we had swapped places, you playing Truth or Dare, me pigging out on snacks..." I said sighing. 

"Come on, Foster!" Keefe said, sticking out his bottom lip. "You don't wanna hang out with me?!" 

"Nobody wants to hang out with you," Tam muttered, but made sure everyone could hear. 

Marella laughed first, and I saw Dex laughing along, but seeming a little worried about Marella laughing so hard with Tam at his joke. I decided to play a little matchmaking of my own. 

I sidled up next to Marella. "Hi!" I said.

Marella looked a little surprised but smiled back at me. "Hey, Sophie!" she said. "We haven't talked in a long time! What do you want to talk about?" 

I lowered my voice. "Dex." 

Marella immediately got defensive. "What about Dex?" she said. "If you are coming here to talk bad things about him, then please don't bother. I would hate to have to punch you, but if I have to, I will." 

I raised my arms. "Woah Marella," I said. "I would never talk bad about Dex like that! In fact, this is sort of private so..." I glanced around, trying to make my point. 

Marella nodded and waved me over to a corner near the bar away from everyone else. I saw Dex look at me suspiciously, so I decided to tell him what I was about to do. 

I reached inside Dex's head and telepathically talked to him. "Dex." 

"What are you trying to do with Marella?" Dex thought back. 

"Nothing." 

"Then, why is she leading you to the corner next to the bar?" 

"Dex, I'm trying to help! I'm going to find out whether Marella likes you or not!" 

"Sophie! No way are you doing that!" 

"Why not? If she likes you back, you both can be happy!" 

"What if she doesn't like me? Then, it will be so awkward!" 

"I'm not going to tell her that you like her!"

"Marella won't say that she likes me if she doesn't know that I like her first!"

"How do you know?" 

"Because I know Marella." 

"Dex please!?" I pressed. "I will make sure that nothing embarrassing happens!" 

"Fine," Dex sighed. "I am putting my trust in you." 

"Okay. I won't let you down." I thought, then cut off the connection. 

"What took you so long?" Marella said as she sat on a white stool. "I was waiting for like-" 

"1 minute," I replied. "You waited for about one minute." 

"Who cares?" Marella said. "Now, what were you saying about Dex?" 

So, I was going to take things slow and then slowly ease into the danger zone. To be honest, this was my very first time playing Matchmaker, unlike Biana who basically did this every day. 

"So...what do you think about Dex's hair?" 

Marella looked at me strangely. "His hair is fine," she said. "Is that all, because I see Fitz over there with Linh and I want to go chat." 

Marella didn't give me time to respond because as soon as she said that, she turned heel and left to go to Fitz and Linh. 

Dex glanced at me from across the room, and from his expression, I bet he could already tell that it was a total flop. 

I sighed and plopped down on the couch. Why was matchmaking so confusing?