Part 24

Meghan Polinsky's POV.
Day 19, afternoon

"Ha. Very funny." I said sarcastically next to Edmond with my feet covered in the quicksand I just got out of. sticky. wet. awful quicksand. I'm grateful I got out of that mess. That'd be some way to die, yikes.

"Anyway time to keep walking," I said stepping around him and walking again.

"Are you for real?!" Edmond said loudly from behind me making me stop.

"What?" I snapped and turned to face him. His tone put me in a bad mood.

"You just got out of the quicksand and now you are going to wonder forth like you didn't just scream and throw bones everywhere because you walked into a spider web!!" Edmond yelled.

"Woah. Sorry I'm making you so mad right now but I want to find the thing or person that started that fire! If there are people on this island we need help and we need to contact them ASAP." I explained.

"Look, Meghan, the smoke could have been anything! You're being ridiculous right now."

That made my blood boil. "I'm being ridiculous? You made a joke like a minute ago and now your all 'Meghan are you for real?!'" I said mocking his voice.

"I don't sound like that." Edmond defended himself.

"Whatever. I'm walking follow if you want to. I don't care." I said ignoring him and walking forwards. Christ. This man changes moods faster than a triple axel in action.

I sighed and stopped to turn around. "I'm sorry. Just come on." I said still annoyed.

Edmond huffed and started walking beside me again with the fruit bowl.

I heard a rustle come from a distance and I snapped my head in that direction. "Edmond, what was that?" I asked warily.

"What was what?" Edmond said. I heard the rustle again but this time I saw the huge bush move around. "That..?" I said pointing over there. I cautiously walked over there hoping nothing popped out at me.

I stopped and took a few steps back when I heard a growl. I saw a brown paw poke out and that made me shake in fear. I'm sure it was a bear. All of a sudden it made sense. I looked at my surroundings and this is the perfect spot for a bear to hibernate in. "We gotta get out of here!" I said pulling Edmond's arm.

I looked into Edmond's emotionless eyes as he stood stock-still. "Edmond, seriously time to go," I begged.

He shifted uncomfortably before we carefully speed walked away. We got far enough so the bear wouldn't attack, hopefully. At one point the bear was even chasing us! But we hid.

But I had a feeling that something like this wouldn't be our only bad encounter.

•••
Day 19, sunset

Crap. Crap crap crap. This is bad, it's getting far and we have no sign of anything remotely civilized and we have nowhere to sleep. I mean we never did but I'd rather sleep on a sandy floor than a dirt floor I guess. Ugh, I don't even know anymore! I'm tired and my legs hurt. I want Lucas and I'm sad and I've been complaining in my head for at least five and a half hours. I'm hungry and I think I have a bug in my hair.

"Let's just sleep under this tree," Edmond said ignoring my okay and sitting down anyways. "No! What about bears?" I asked worriedly.

"Christ Meghan. Do you really think we'd die now after all this? Surely this isn't going to be our fate." Edmond said clearly sounding annoyed.

"Well if we are reckless than we might just die this way," I spoke Analyzing my very limited options. "Let's just keep walking."

Edmond finally gave in and rose to his feet. He froze midway as he heard a distant scream.