Chapter 32: Back home

Riley

I only vaguely remember climbing out of the carriage and into my mansion last night, my mind was just too groggy. Agnes insisted that I had woken up on the ride back to the house but I couldn't remember a thing.

I was so grateful when they woke me up this morning with breakfast in bed. Augustus's scrumptious eggs Benedict accompanied by his magical mini pancakes with heart fruit, syrup and fresh cream. I ate every single bit of it and even licked the plate when Agnes had turned around to organize my outfit for the day. Which made Mellie giggle happily.

 Which made Mellie giggle happily

The great breakfast went down well with a cup of mint tea

"Milady, please tell me everything about the soirée!" Mellie suddenly burst out, in a way that told me she had been eager to ask me all morning.

"Well, a lot happened..." I said thinking back to Lavinia being taken from the main tent by the two guards.

"Mellie you mustn't bother our Lady right now, she is still weak and could possibly faint at any moment if you keep on pestering her." Reprimanded Agnes. Mellie pouted and lowered her head sadly.

Poor Mellie. I would have told her, it was just that I was still feeling pretty tired and a bit out of it, so I wasn't really in the mood to recount the last few days.

"I'll tell you everything that happened while our lady is still recovering!" Said Agnes in an unexpectedly cheery way. So she began to tell the story from the beginning, from the first night where I had sung and played the uldreyin, all the way to the last night where I had fainted after Lavinia had been forcibly taken away by the guards. By the end of it, Mellie was practically salivating from the excitement.

"Also the prince caught Lady Riley just as she fainted and held her and cared for her ever so gently while he waited for her carriage to arrive." My eyes widened at Agnes's words.

"P-prince Geoffrey caught me..." my voice came out all hoarse and I stuttered slightly. Did Prince Geoffrey actually lift me up and carry me...?