•Epilogue•

TO A NEW NATIONKim Youngdae | @toojazzy25 | 2019 May 26

TO A NEW NATION
Kim Youngdae | @toojazzy25 | 2019 May 26

-------------------------------------------------------

Eight months ago, newlywed Kim Seokjin, winner of the competition that took South Korea by storm as its king searched for a spouse, announced what was thought to be the impossible.

As the royal wedding hysteria reached fever pitch, many citizens of South Korea tuned in to what was the first official royal wedding between two men and for the first time in history, a country had two kings.

Both kings had given a speech to their subjects, but that day the speech that made every citizen freeze on the spot in front of our televisions, cellphones, and laptops was that of the King Kim Seokjin. So that I don't bore you with the specific details, the King had announced their plans of abolishing South Korea's monarchy.

It goes without saying that there were protests against this idea, specifically from Court Officials and advisers of the court who apparently had no idea of this even taking place.

"We will try to talk to the kings," one adviser had stated to us, "Our country prides itself on being a monarchy."

"Our country should not pride itself on being a monarchy," King Kim Namjoon had stated during a press conference. "We should pride ourselves in our people, our culture, our resources, not whether there is a king on the throne or not. I like to believe that the people of this country are smart enough to know what they need and to choose a leader who will listen to them. Due to this, we are shifting over to a new form of government."

Another loss hit the royal family as our beloved Royal Queen Dowager passed away a month after the wedding. The two kings held her funeral privately, similar to how they did with the funeral of the Princess Geongmin back in 2018. Neither kings nor the prince wanted to make a comment regarding either funeral.

Regarding the change from a monarchy to a republic, the change was officially made on March 27th 2019, finally abolishing the monarchy of Korea and the two kings now being temporary heads of state while parties prepare for a presidential election coming up in two years.

Many people are wondering: What about the palaces? The two heads of state have decided to declare all five palaces as national monuments and are to build a new estate in the Jongno District of Seoul to signal a new era of government. The time estimated to finish the construction of the famous Presidential "Blue House" is two years. In the meantime, the two kings and the prince will remain at Gyeongbokgung Palace since "There are too many memories there to leave behind so quickly," stated South Korea's first Head of State, Kim Namjoon.