Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Ella's POV:

One minute I'm reliving a horrible nightmare; the next, I'm flying up with widened eyes, my hand clasping my chest. Ragged breaths leave my pasty lips as I try to settle my heartbeat before it beats right out of my chest.

A sheen of sweat clings to my skin, making me a sticky mess. Tears prick my eyes falling helplessly down my cheeks. Can't I ever just get a freaking break?

"Ellie," The voice is breathless, but still the most mesmeric sound. It's the voice of the boy who keeps me sane, the boy I've missed so much.

Gazing up, it doesn't take long for me to spot Declan; we're in his bedroom. Our eyes connect, his grassy ones full of intensity as they stare into my blue ones. He stands up and then begins to walk towards me, his strides quick but fluent, not once taking his eyes off me.

"D-Declan," I rasp, in an unpleasant croak.

When he gets to me, he doesn't hesitate to pick me up gently with his strong arms and place me onto his lap. His arms don't leave my body; they hold me firmly with no intention of letting me go. I shift to my side on his lap, so I can place my arms around him too, and hold on for dear life, all the while my head rests on his chest above his beating heart.

"Shh, I'm here baby," He whispers.

I glance up to see his face; when I do, my heart breaks. His face is all bruised in different shades of purples and blues while his eyes are swollen. Little cuts speckle his face, still dry with blood; he has yet to clean them. What happened to him?

Bringing my hand up, my fingers trace the cuts lightly, causing him to wince, "Declan, y-you're hurt."

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

I shake my head and start crying all over again. "N-no your not, t-they hurt you." I stutter, squeezing him tighter. He shouldn't have those marks; who did that to him? How did he get me out?

He smiles softly, but still, my heartaches. "I'll be fine, Lil' one."

"Promise," I mumble.

He leans down and kisses my forehead, "I promise you."

We stay like this for a while, just holding onto each other, neither of us wanting to let go. Right now, I just want to hold the boy I love with all my heart and have him hold me back, to feel safe again because he is my safety.

His chin rests on my head, "What were you dreaming about?" He asks into my hair.

My body stills. It wasn't a dream, it was a recurring nightmare, and the worst part is, it's true. I can't tell him about it, what would he think of me? He would never see me the same. I am the reason my dad was dead; it was my fault.

Biting my lip, I say the only thing I can think of, "I don't really remember," I feel horrible for lying, but I can't lose him, not when he's all that I have.

"Ella, don't lie to me," He mumbles, which causes me to gaze up. His eyes look sad, hurt maybe?

Sitting up, my eyes fall to my lap, not being able to look at him. "I'm not; it was nothing."

Declan slides off from under me and stands up, leaving me cold without his warmth. He then begins to pace the floor. "I don't understand, Ellie." He speaks quietly. "I've told you things about me that I don't tell anyone, but when I want to know something about you, you shut down and lie to me."

Now I'm sure it's hurt clouding his eyes, but now it's also anger. He's mad at me. "I-I'm not lying." I defend weakly.

He stops for a moment and stares at me. "This is what I mean," He gestures between us, "I've been patiently waiting for you to tell me when you're ready," Then he stops, keeping his eyes on me, giving me a chance to tell him until he realizes I'm not going to.