chapter 24

24. Departure and Scandal

Jeress had already decided early on to take the little sub-beastman away. At any rate, the sub-beastman should not be living in a dangerous forest. But before that, he needed to find out about the little sub-beastman's circumstances. He also needed to find out about the circumstances of this fallen beast being at the little sub-beastman's side.

Why would they live in the forest?

The little sub-beastman and he were obstructed by the language barrier. Jeress had wanted to communicate with the fallen beast at the little sub-beastman's side . . . . The fallen beast had apparently thought the same, so they had showed up together here.

Reading the words the fallen beast had written down, Jeress sighed with relief. The fallen beast knew that he had to to leave. No matter what, a sub-beastman could not continue to keep a fallen beast at his side.

"How could this sub-beastman is living in the forest? Why can't he understand the common language? Could it be that he has been living in the wild since childhood?" Jeress asked. The little sub-beastman could not understand the common language, neither could he understand all the other dialects. He didn't even understand the difference between a beastman and a sub-beastman, which was simply wrong.

Edgar glanced at Jeress and used his tail to write the answer on the ground: "He has been living in the wild since childhood, so he doesn't understand anything." Edgar knew that the little sub-beastman had not been living here since childhood. On the contrary, both of them had been sent over from other places. But that kind of explanation was no good. It was better off to say that the little sub-beastman had grown up here all along.

Furthermore . . . the little sub-beastman wanted to follow after these men and leave the forest for a trip. Apart from protecting the little guy, he also planned to contact his own parents so they would collect and take care of the little sub-beastman. Then they could help him look for his close relatives. Since it was like this, Edgar naturally wouldn't explain too much about the little sub-beastman's affairs to the beastman before his eyes.

"Living in the forest since childhood? Is he like Karl the wolfman?" Jeress was a bit surprised. "Karl the Wolfman" was a bestseller book in the Beastman Empire, telling a story about a beastman couple who travelled with their newly-born little beastman and had an accident. The beastman couple died, while the little beastman was adopted by a pack of wolves, and thanks to his formidable strength, he also became the king of the wolf pack. Later, he ran into a beastman expedition, and only then did he realize that he was actually not a wolf but a beastman . . . .

Edgar certainly knew about this book. After thinking for a moment, he nodded briefly.

Jeress, however, thought about the situation even more. It was quite difficult for the little sub-beastman to survive in the forest. Him living so well now was definitely not the same as Karl the Wolfman who had relied on his own strength . . . .

"Could it be that you're the little sub-beastman's father? Since you've been taking care of him all along?" Jeress regarded the fallen beast in front of him with admiration. Sure enough, as a father, he was really strong. This fallen beast could remain clear-headed in order to protect his own child, right? Of course, it probably had something to do with the strength of the fallen beast too . . . . Being able to make Jeress feel afraid by sheer pressure, the strength of this fallen beast was deep and unmeasurable. Before turning into a fallen beast, he definitely had been a beastman warrior with formidable strength!

Father? Edgar, making eye contact with Jeress' reverent gaze, was rooted to the spot.

"Rest assured, I'll certainly protect your child properly and won't ever let him suffer any harm." Jeress was conspicuously rather excited to offer his guarantee.
Edgar didn't think so, and his tail whipped past Jeress.