Chapter XX

Act II of Devotion: Endurance

Chapter XX: Long May You Reign

'I remember that day so clearly that perhaps it would never fade from my memories even if I become a feeble old man. How could I not remember it when it was for so long, a much needed reprieve from the old world and into the new one? Returning to the capital was not an unusual thing for me and my other siblings, it meant that we were to be welcomed back to court but somehow I knew that my brother Aegon was thinking of something else.

When we returned, we were not escorted by the Dornish guards to the Red Keep. We were taken to White Hall, our mother's private residence half way across the other side of the city. I suppose my mother thought that it would be much better for Aegon to remain away from the Red Keep. It would no doubt only trigger things that a young boy ought to never remember. That would be the correct assumption as his experiences there would scar him for the rest of his life.

White Hall was filled with Lannister guards, including the captain of our lord grandfather's house hold guards, ser Adam Marbrand. I thought it odd when I saw him but we greeted him with glee. None of us were aware of the things that had unfolded before our arrival a few days before.

It would not be until a few weeks later that we were given the truth. Of course, our dear Aegon was clever enough to put together the puzzle when we arrived.

Our grandfather Tywin Lannister had along with lord Tyrell and our mother's great love Oberyn Martell had taken the city from under the yoke of the loyalist forces. The mad king, Aerys II, our other grandfather, had been killed by our own uncle.

We understood the reasons for the Lannister forces coming to the city. The reason remains unknown to us of why our grandfather had decided to sack the people within the city and why our uncle killed our grandfather.

For many years, I could only wonder why and often I came to the conclusion that there was a righteous reason for what my grandfather and what my uncle had both done. Because if none of it had happened, our mad king of a grandfather wouldn't have hesitated to kill all of us, perhaps even my mother too if he would be merciful enough to just force her to be his paramour and maybe even his wife.

Our mother had missed us all. She came running to us as we did to her, wrapping her arms wide trying to fit all of us together in an embrace. Tears of joy flowed through her, laughter that perhaps had not been present in so many moons came bursting out. Kisses and warm touches were the best things given by her children were the greatest joy. There had been nothing that would stop her from having that joy.

Our grandfather Tywin spoke to us so frank and stern that we didn't even think he was our grandfather, especially to Aegon who was after all the next in line of the throne. But he started to warm slightly when Rhaenys and Visenya came up to him. Perhaps our sisters were to be his greatest favorites. Nuncle Oberyn came to us and hugged us so tightly that we thought he almost cried. He later admitted that he did cry with joy. After all, he saw all of our mother's children almost like his own children.

It wasn't until that night though that she called Aegon and me before bed. We didn't know what it would be about. Usually our mother addressed all of us equally, meaning we were always brought to together whether it is a disciplinary act or just a loving moment.