Chapter 72 The Promise

Rhea decided to take Ember for a walk in the garden before she left for the competition. The results would be decided on the spot. She wanted to come back home with the trophy. Ember sat in a wheelchair while Rhea stood behind him, pushing him forward while his service dog walked beside them. They walked inside the hospital's garden, on a smooth road made of designer bricks. It was about to rain. Rhea pushed Ember's wheelchair as they walked over the way covered with dried leaves and Gulmohar flowers.

Spring was coming with a shower of Gulmohar flowers. She remembered Ember hugged her for the first time under a Gulmohar tree, that was also the last time he hugged her. Bt he never had to touch her to reach her after that. When two people are in love, you see it in their eyes. The way they look at each other, do more than hands could ever. Their eyes are full of attraction, admiration, love doesn't always have to be something sexual or even romantic. It's just a connection that makes you feel safe around another human being. 

As the sharp sunlight fell over his eyes, she pressed her hands over his eyebrows, providing a shade to his Prussian blue eyes. 

"This looks as if we are walking on a flower way," Ember laughed, "It's so beautiful,"
Rhea smiled back, "I would only ever make you walk on flowers ways,"
He giggled, "How sweet," He dragged his wheelchair away from her with his frail hands and turned towards her, "So, how are you feeling today? It's the big day, the finals," 

"I'm so anxious" She looked into his eyes.
"Ah, the competition stress, I can understand,"
"No...I feel like you're gonna leave me,"
His eyes widened and he smiled, 
"You don't have to feel anxious, Rhea. Look, I'm right here. Just like always, I'll be right here, next to you," He held her hands in his, "See? I'm going to be fine." 

Slowly, tears left his eyes as his hands gently slipped down her waist,
"Ember?" She looked down at him. His pink scalp, shining through his thinning, light blonde hair, his eyes wide open as he looked at the crushed Gulmohar flowers laying on the road, "I can't die, yet. I just can't. I'm too young. This has happened before too, and they fixed me somehow, they'll do it again, don't worry, at all,"

He clenched her clothes tighter as he clenched his eyes, tears just won't stop, "I really want to live, Rhea. I want to live because I want to hear my favourite song one last time. Because I promised you I'd paddle the next time we go to those same abandoned buildings again. Because my dog will miss me if I leave. Because I won't be able to play the guitar again. Because I wanna eat more street food with you. Because the moon is just so pretty to never see it again. Because you still haven't drawn me that portrait of mine you promised," He sobbed as he pressed his face over her stomach, "There's so much I want to do, I can't end like this, Rhea," He began crying, "I wanna fight for you! Please don't let me go, Rhea"

She looked at him and slowly tears rolled down her cheeks, "I wanna fight for you too, Ember,"
She hugged him tightly, 

"Your Danny boy at service,"
"I want to ask you something,"
"Hmm?"

"How do you say I love you in Danish?"

"Jeg elsker dig," She said. And he stopped crying. He looked at her and laughed while his face was still wet with tears, "You've put me in a difficult situation,"
"I don't fall for people easily though," She smiled, "Because everything that falls, breaks,"
"Yes. That's why you don't fall in love. You rise in love," He smiled.

Her cheeks went red and she leaned closer to him as he sat on that wheelchair, he smiled as he pressed his head on hers and his blue looked seductively into her brown eyes, "So, do you want to go out with me?"

He shook his head, "We can't be together,"
"Why?" She asked.

"Why? Look at me. I'm a teenage boy who's unable to walk anymore. I am fated to a hospital bed for the best of my life. I will just hold you back from here, and I don't want to. So it's time, you let me go. Find new love, I'm setting you free,"
She looked at his face and shook her head. He removed the silver string from around his neck and put it around her neck, "I love you too," He smiled, "And just because we can't be together, doesn't mean I won't love you."

She looked into his Prussian blue eyes as if it was the time she'd see them.
'After meeting Ember, I saw something I never did. I saw how utterly beautiful it is to see yourself change into a better person just because of someone else's existence in your life.'

"One last promise, can you keep it?"
"Say it,"
"Promise me that you'll wait for me with flowers in your hand tonight to congratulate my victory at the competition. I will win this for you because unlike the flowers you'll give me, my love for you will never wither,"

Ember chuckled as he patted her head, "I promise,"

-To be continued

Arorhea Laghari Can't I Touch Your Heart?

Arorhea Laghari
Can't I Touch Your Heart?