Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter One

England, 1836

The countess was shrieking again.

Addie couldn't quite be certain if the woman's shrieks were directed at her, but she might wager it likely. Addie was her most frequent target, after all. And it was for that precise reason that she had learned to block out the high-pitched commands. They were simply intolerable. Lady Bennett sounded like a dying animal on most days, the way her voice turned shrill on the final uptick of words.

"Addie!"

This time the countess' voice was so sharp that Addie felt her spine straighten in response.

She closed her eyes for a moment, preparing herself as Lady Bennett's footsteps drew nearer. Addie took a deep breath, and she heard her mother's soothing voice instead. It was but a memory, reminding her to stand tall, stand straight. Balance had always been key. Hair pins would only do so much to keep her crown upon her head. One's posture must do the work to keep it from falling down.

Addie listened. She stood straight. Her posture was impeccable as Lady Bennett flew into the room. But the only crown upon Addie's head was one made of sweat. Golden jewels and power and position were a mere dream now.

More of the countess' shrieking drew Addie's attention, and she glared at the back of Lady Bennett's head as the woman slid into her spot in front of the vanity.

Honestly, Addie could handle the long hours of work as a lady's maid. She could handle the intense physical labor of carrying bucket after bucket of hot water up two flights of stairs to draw a bath, and she could handle the invisibility of being a servant in an upper-class home. But what Addie could not handle any more of was that woman.

"I am waiting," Lady Bennett snapped, tapping her fingers on the vanity.

"Coming, my lady." Addie's voice and movements were brisk as she ran about Lady Bennett's private chambers to collect the gown, jewelry, and ribbons that the countess had requested as part of her evening ensemble.

"Addie." Lady Bennett sniffed, her nose high in the air as she said, "These things should be set out before I even walk into the room."

The woman's face pinched emphatically with disapproval as she stared back at Addie through the mirror on the vanity. Lady Bennett would be an attractive older woman if only she could be convinced to smile on occasion.

"I am sorry, my lady. I was finishing the polish on the silver that you asked me to do not but an hour ago," Addie attempted to explain, even though she knew it would be in vain.

And it was.

More shrieking came from Lady Bennett about how the polishing should have been completed yesterday, and Addie withheld the urge to roll her eyes. It was an unladylike habit that she'd picked up from the other servants, one that would undoubtedly make her mother turn in her grave.

Addie chose to keep her mouth shut and her eyes forward, however. She had polished the silver yesterday. But upon explaining that to the countess, the woman had insisted that it did not have the bright sparkle it should. Addie wished to say that it was not the polish of the silver, but rather the quality, that caused the lackluster sheen. If Lady Bennett wanted her silver to sparkle, she would have to buy better silver.

Addie settled behind her employer and began to twist and pull her hair into a chignon. It was not an easy task, as the countess had coarse hair with all the shine of her beloved silver. However, Addie barely heard Lady Bennett as she complained throughout the process. Once she fashioned the lady's hair in a style that indeed resembled a chignon, Addie rushed to help her into an evening dress of sage green. If Addie had anything nice to say about the countess, it was that she had the most beautiful gowns. It made Addie ache as she remembered all of the fine silks and satins she had worn before the accident.