030 || accords

•••

•••

"You better be fucking kidding me" Clint laughed, his tone harsh and angry, "they can't do that"
"Clint-"
"No! What the fuck do they think they are? By signing this you're basically signing your life over to state control. You're - you're actually telling me you signed this?"
"Yes! The red on my led-"
"Oh don't start that bullshit with me again Natasha. Don't you dare. You've done more than enough to reduce your guilt. This is - this is - I don't even know what this is" he raged, pacing up and down the living room.
"For gods sake! Grace can you talk some sense into your stubborn husband?" Natasha sighed frustratedly, motioning to me.
"I agree with him. They shouldnt get to control you all like that. I understand why you signed Nat - I get it - but it's morally, utterly wrong"
"Don't you start" she groaned, rubbing her fingers through her hair.
"Can you not see how wrong this is? They want Wanda and Pietro to sign it. That means the world's government will have legal authority over our children" I explained, gesturing at the two twins who sat silently watching the argument (Clint and I had flown to the compound the second we heard about the accords), "no parent in their right fucking mind would allow that!"
"Grace, we have to think about this logically, 117 countries agreed to this -"
"I don't give a fuck how many agreed" Clint interrupted, "that's taking away basic human rights. Not only that but blaming property damage on us? What did they want us to do, let the world be invaded by Chitauri?"
"This whole situation is political fuckery. The Wakandan king only cared because a few of his own were there. If this didn't effect him he wouldn't have given a shit" I huffed, crossing my arms.
"He has his reasons. I think Tony is right, we need someone to put us in check. After SHIELD we did everything off our own backs. It hasn't exactly worked out" Nat hit back, "staying together is more important than how we stay together. The only way we all can keep this up is by abiding to the law. We don't have much choice either way!"
"In the end, it's their decision" I said, looking over at the twins, "but I will not allow them to be bullied into doing something they don't want to do. I don't care how many presidents, world leaders or even fucking Kings I have to fight!"
"You can't fight a king"
"Try me"

•••

"Hey Steve" I said gently, knocking on his door. He opened the door slowly, his half-packed suitcase laying on the bed.
"I heard about Peggy - I'm so sorry"
Steve nodded sadly and I almost melted at his forlorn expression, immediately pulling him into a hug.
That was seemingly the last straw, his tears starting to spill on to my shoulder. I gently shushed him as we swayed slightly, my heart breaking for the man in front of me.
"It's gonna be okay Steve" I murmured, "it's gonna be okay"
His choked sobs filled my ears, as I continued to whisper reassuring phrases, only letting go once his cries subsided.
"I'm sorry" he sniffled, "I shouldn't have cried in front of you"
"Steve it's honestly okay" I said, smiling softly, "thank you for trusting me enough"
He let out a sad chuckle, looking down abashedly at his feet.
"It's all gonna work out Steve" I said, patting his shoulder, "you'll see"

•••

"Yes hello is this the Wakanda helpline? Yes hi, I was wondering if you could pass on a message? - Sure I get that - I'll say it anyway. You have no right to force people to sign a document meaning that their life becomes property of someone else. You may still have a monarchy, but lemme tell you slaves are illegal now and this is the biggest pile of bullshit ever. If he wants to fight me then just call me back and I'll do it... yes that's the end of the message. Thanks"
The others looked at me like I was crazy.
"See? I told you I would"