Fifty Two

Rose

I managed to slip out of the living room, going out into the corridor and taking a breather, exhaling softly.

I waved my hand in front of my face as if it would help me cool down. I was so warm, probably from the nervousness.

Cristiano was in the lounge, continuing to wind everyone up and crack some jokes but all I wanted to do was escape. I needed some space and I felt overwhelmed. Plus, it was not like anyone was really speaking to me anyway, they were all too busy being annoyed by Cris.

I leaned against the wall and sighed, running my hand through my long hair. I exhaled softly, squeezing my eyes closed as I tried to get my heart back to its normal rhythm.

Then I heard the sounds of footsteps; many tiny footsteps running down he stairs. My eyes flew open and I watched as children ran down the stairs, laughing and playing tag.

A small smile came into my face then it extended as I caught a pair of sapphire eyes.

"Rose!"

"Blaze!"

She giggled as I scooped her up and spun her around, cuddling her and asking her so many questions that she could barely respond.

"I missed you!" She told me, her small arms hugging me tightly as I kissed her temple, cuddling her.

"Me too," I softly replied, closing my eyes as I held the sweet girl. I sighed, moving away and meeting her eyes. My lips parted and I went to say something until we were interrupted.

"Blaze? Where did you put mama's phone - oh. ."

My head turned and I gazed Blaze's mother.

Oh shit

Here we go

My lips parted in surprise and I suddenly went speechless. Her eyes glanced between Blaze and I, her eyebrows knotting together gently in slight confusion. She kept a small, polite smile on her face though she seemed puzzled as to why I was hugging her daughter.

"Mama!" Blaze beamed, sliding out of my arms and running to her mother, jumping up and down and tugging her mother's dress. "Mama! Mama! That's Rose! Rose is real! See, that's Rose! I told you, mama!"

Her mother's face slowly changed, an indescribable yet dark look covering it. She took Blaze's hand and said gently, "Blaze, go play upstairs with April."

Blaze frowned but didn't argue. She went to go do as she was told, leaving us two alone. I bit my bottom lip and her eyes flickered upwards, meeting mine. I realised that the look on her age was not a good one and already, there was a bad feeling in my gut.

She started walking slowly yet hostilely towards me and I knew she was gonna go for a punch. I started moving backwards and before I knew it, we were outside and the door shut loudly behind us.

She swung and I dodged, blocking her second fist and quickly saying, "woah! Stop! Can you please hear me out?"

"You brainwashed her!" She snapped, her eyes filled with anger and disbelief. She seemed to be masking her pain with vexation and glared deadly at me, her eyes shooting daggers towards me.

"Brainwashed?" I repeated in disbelief, taking steps cautiously backwards so she wouldn't go for another hit. "Wait, you've got it wrong-"

"Have I?" She harshly interrupted in disbelief. She sighed, shaking her head and scoffing, bitterly looking at me. "What the hell are you doing here, Rose? Yeah, I know, she keeps saying you're this sweet, kind person who protected her but it's a lie! All lies! You twisted her mind into thinking that!"