Chapter 3 - Loud Letters, Terrible Teachers and Pixies

"What are you guys looking at?" Vincent asked curiously

It was breakfast time and the whole school was in the great hall. Four long tables were filled to the brim with students from different houses which Vincent learned later were, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw.

He also learned that it was at this time that a majority of students would receive mail.

Ron, however, was extremely pale as he looked at the letter sitting in front of him. Harry and Hermione were also present as was a couple of other students who were snickering at Ron's misfortune.

"It's a Howler," Ron said as he gingerly picked the letter up.

"You better open it, Ron," said a student named Neville just as nervous as Ron, "It'll be worse if you don't."

Both Vincent and Harry exchanged confused looks before looking at the petrified faces of Ron and Neville.

"What's a Howler?" asked Harry

Ron and Neville didn't answer as they both stared at the envelope which started smoking.

"Open it," Neville urged, "It'll all be over in a few minutes—"

Vincent took another spoonful of porridge as he watched Ron's resolved look as he tore open the envelope.

Vincent learned exactly why it was called a Howler. An enormous roar of sound filled the entire hall, shaking the very ground beneath his feet.

"—STEALING THE CAR, TAKING A MUGGLE TO HOGWARTS, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK OF YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW THAT IT WAS GONE—"

Vincent was just sitting there munching on his toast, although the sound was deafening, breakfast came first. He assumed that the woman shouting was Ron's mum, Mrs. Weasley. Ron however sunk so deep into his chair that all anyone could see was his redhead. Harry tried to look as if he didn't hear the incredibly loud noise on his side, but to no avail, as his eyes kept twitching. People throughout the hall turned silent as they listened in.

"— ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED — YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME!"

And with that lovely note, the letter burst into flames leaving a pile of ashes on Ron's meal. The once silent hall had a few giggles before people started talking again.

Hermione closed her book before looking straight at Ron.

"Don't tell me I deserved it," Ron muttered darkly as his head hung low.

Harry just pushed his porridge away and looked incredibly guilty while Vincent was finishing his breakfast.

"Hey Ginny, what are you looking at?" Hermione asked curiously as she saw the redheaded girl reading a newspaper. It obviously was a muggle one with no moving pictures.

"No-nothing," she said, her face turning a bit red as she looked at Vincent who tilted his head in confusion.

"Come 'on, give it here," Ron tried to shake off his embarrassment while taking the newspaper from Ginny who tried taking it back but to no avail.

Harry, Hermione, and Vincent gathered around the newspaper to see the headline, LONDON'S VIGILANTE STRIKES AGAIN. The picture depicted a hooded figure jumping across the rooftops, the only thing that they could identify from the picture were the two rods like weapons on his waist. Harry and Ron looked straight at Vincent who looked away and started whistling. He already suspected that Dumbledore or McGonagall informed them of his history. Hermione was invested in the story.