Chapter 24

SAVING THE CAKE FOR LATER

Laurier's third birthday was a fairly low-key affair, just kept within the house. Well, even though I did want to make her first birthday party a big occasion, there might be problems if I didn't invite other noble families because of how high society works, but... Laurier was still smiling happily even though it was such a small party.

Meanwhile, I was just happy watching her... as she spoke with her nanny and laughed with her maid, then came running up to me with a plate of food that Garrick had made, a big smile on her face.

"Father! I'm really happy!"

"Is that so... I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself."

"Ehehe..." I ruffled Laurier's hair as she giggled, then she took some of the food off her plate with a fork and held it out towards me.

"Father, it's really yummy! Have some!"

"Ah... Of course, I'll have some."

Is there a father out there who could refuse his beloved daughter offering him food...? There isn't! I wasn't interested in proving to be an exception to the rule, so I obediently opened my mouth and let her feed me.

"Yeah, it really is very tasty. Maybe eating with Laurier just makes everything taste better?"

"Really? Eating with me makes it more yummier, father?"

"Of course. There's no father in the world who wouldn't enjoy a meal with their cute daughter."

I couldn't help myself petting Laurier's head again as she smiled innocently.

"Eating with father makes it yummy too!"

C... cuuute! My daughter is really ultra cute!

I could barely manage to keep up a stiff grimace as I was faced with Laurier's smile. I'm pretty sure if I tried to do anything more, I'd lose control of my expressions.

"It'd be even yummier if mother was here too..."

"Ah, when your mother wakes up later, I'm sure that we can bring some cake up to her room to eat together."

"Cake? Father made a cake...?"

"Of course I did. For Laurier and Sasha... Or rather, your mother, I worked extra hard to make them for the both of you, so look forward to it."

"Yep!"

Even though it's her birthday, she's still thinking about her mother as well with that slightly sad smile... She's such an angel! Archangel Laurier!

But... seeing Laurier express herself like this, I can't help but feel a little sad about it myself. Before now, Laurier was... she was a child who always endured everything without a word, no matter how lonely or sad she really was, at least until Callis' personality changed. Well, that's Callis' fault for neglecting her so much, but... even though it hasn't been that long, Laurier's able to express herself so freely now... as a parent, there's no greater happiness than this.

But, she is quite similar to her mother... in that, if she doesn't have anyone to stand beside her, she might go back to bottling those feelings back up inside, so in the future, Laurier will need someone who truly understands that... Ah, what to do?

I don't need to worry about Sasha, since I'll always be able to stay by her side as her husband no matter what, but... when it comes to my daughter Laurier's future, I can't help but wonder if I'll need to play a role when it comes to the person she ends up with. Call me overprotective if you like, but... as a parent, I want to do what I can.

Well, if during her teenage years she falls in love with someone and said 'I hate you, father!' when I tried to meddle, I don't know how I'd go on...

"Father? What's wrong?"

"Hm... Ah, no. It's nothing."

Laurier was staring up at me worriedly. Damn it, I can't think about things like that now. I must have accidentally had a serious look on my face. I didn't think that I'd get that upset just by the thought of my cute and kind daughter reaching her rebellious phase... I still have a long way to go as a father.

Well, maybe I'm over thinking things about her saying that she 'hates' me, but... one day, Laurier will leave my side.

I'd be lying if I said that didn't bother me, but... I can't let my daughter see that side of me.

I'll do anything for my daughter's happiness, after all. Of course, I'll do what I can myself, but... for Laurier to live a happy life, that relies on a certain someone as well. A noble prince riding on a valiant white steed to come and take Laurier's hand... maybe that's a bit too much of a fairy tale ending? Well, at any rate, I hope that Laurier can eventually find happiness with a wonderful person and a loving family, like I have.

"Laurier... no matter what happens, I'll always be your father."

"Father?"

Laurier looked confused, but... even so, I still smiled as I spoke to her.

"Therefore... Laurier, you should always make sure to do the things that you think will make you happy. No matter what, I'll always be on your side. Because, Laurier, you are both mine and Sasha's precious daughter."

"Father... yup!"

I don't know if she really understood what I meant, but Laurier still nodded obediently with a smile. Yeah... I still have a lot of things on my mind, but... for now, all I can do is watch over Laurier and let her grow.

Being overprotective or too meddlesome wouldn't do her any good, but... still, for my adorable daughter, I'll swear a vow to do anything in my power to let her find her own happiness.