You Do Care

Throughout my entire life I had never really grasped the concept of the seven deadly sins. I knew of them and their significance but never in my life had I thought of them as being real. As being actual beings made from flesh and bone. Although now that I've been talking to a being who claims to be "associated" with them; I'm beginning to wonder what other myths and gods may exist.

I grew up in a family that believed that science was the true god. That our creation was not from a higher being but instead a million different molecules and substances coming together to create something big. Everything in my childhood was based around the Big Bang theory, evolution and my parent's fascination with science in itself. I never really payed much attention but I know enough to understand the fundamentals of it all. I never thought to explore other religions or other aspects of why we exist because I didn't think there was any value in searching for a higher power.

Now, I'm in this situation and I'm wishing I had expanded more of my knowledge. Atlas tells me that these "gods" created him and his siblings, yet he never told me who these "gods" were. Yes, he gave me answers but I'm left with a million more questions to follow after. For instance, why do we never hear about them in the "mortal world"? And what was the point of creating the seven of them in the first place? Wait, seven of them? At the table when we ate, I only met six of them including Altas. At the beginning of our conversation I specifically remember Atlas saying his "six" siblings.

I look up from my lap and search the living area for Atlas. After he told me that I was only half mortal, he refused to give me any more information. Stating that I needed time to think things over before I knew anything else.

"The human mind can only take in so much information." He had said.

He escorted me to one of the other many rooms in this enormous place and sat me down on the couch. It looks to be a sort of living room but the ceilings are high and there is a book shelf along one of the walls. From where I'm sitting, I can see three couches including the one I'm on but there is a large space behind me where I believe there are beanbags and other furniture.

I've been sitting here for about twenty minutes just staring at my hands and looking up now almost gives me a head rush. I look around the room in search for him. It only takes me a few seconds to find him leaning up against the book shelf. He has a navy-blue bound book in his hand and is clearly focused on the worded pages. He looks so suave and intelligent. This is the first time I've been able to actually study him. He's tall -as I already know- but he isn't the skinny type. He has bulk in his shoulders which gives him a stronger look and with his legs crossed I can see the toned outline of them. His face isn't too shabby either, it's the only thing that makes me believe that he was actually crafted by the gods. His features are heavenly; his jawline could cut me if I got too close.

As if he feels my eyes on him, he glances up at me. Upon my staring he abruptly shuts the book and places it back onto the shelf, crossing his arms over his chest. When they said that the rolled-up sleeves look is the hottest, they weren't lying.

"Something you need, sweetheart?" He asks. There isn't a tinge of mock in his voice, instead I hear absolute sincerity.

"You said you had six siblings," I see a slight change in his eyes as I stare at him. "But I only met five."

He pushes off the wall and comes to sit beside me on the grey couch, our legs brushing against each other as he does. I instantly scoot away. Just because I think he's a very handsome, beautiful, god of man doesn't mean I want him to touch me.

"Remember how I told you that one of the gods punishments was to take away our bodily form? That it is our greatest fear because we become enslaved to the mortal world?"

I can clearly remember everything he said, almost like it's embedded in my brain now. So, I nod my head, letting him continue.

"The seventh sibling... my brother. He did something unforgivable, something not even the gods could let pass. So, his body was taken away from him. That was almost eight thousand years ago." He says, a flash of sadness crossing his eyes. I find that the longer I spend with him the more I see of his emotions.

I don't want to feel pity for him. Feeling sorry for someone like him should be the last thing on my mind, yet here I am. I can't let my emotions get to me. This too dangerous of a situation.

"I'm sorry, losing a family member can be really hard." I could actually use this to my advantage. "I mean I can certainly imagine what you must be feeling. You know with a family member being taken away from you and never seeing them again. I bet you'd do anything to-."

"I know what you're doing and it's not going to work, sweetheart. This is your home now so you better get used to it and from what I gather you were never really very close with your parents. I don't see you missing them. I also recall them being the ones who handed you over. You seem to keep forgetting that little detail." He states and I look away from him, feeling the salty tears build up behind my eyes. There goes the nice, emotional Atlas and here comes the rude, mocking Atlas.

"There still my parents, it doesn't matter how close we were." My voice cracks half way through my sentence.

Keep it together Avianna. You can't keep crying everytime he says something remotely rude to you.

I feel his hand on my shoulder, his thumb rubbing circles on the open skin. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so rash."

I shrug his hand off my shoulder and viscously wipe my eyes of tears. I'm so sick of crying. It isn't making the situation any better and crying is just so... ugh!

"It doesn't matter. As you said I'm stuck here forever, so be as rash as you want. See if I care... I won't. I don't care anymore." I don't even believe my words, I'm just saying all this in hopes it will make me feel better. So far, it's not working.

"You do care." Thanks, captain obvious. "I know this may not be the best situation but you'll get used to it. I think you will grow to like it here. Maybe even love it here." He says giving me a small awkward pat on the shoulder then getting up and walking towards the door.

"Wait, I have one more question." I call after him.

He stops at the door knob and turns slightly towards me, awaiting my question.

"Your brother, what was he? You're Time, Gilah is eternal joy. What was your brother?" I ask out of pure curiosity.

He gives me a small forced smile and turns the nob to the door. "Maybe another time, Avianna. You can explore the castle as much as you'd like. The rooms you aren't allowed in will be locked." And with that he slips out the door, leaving me with my thoughts. Alone. Again. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
1302 words