Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

            Suki skipped along the hallway—she was looking for you. She felt bored but cheerful—a combination that meant she absolutely had to spend time with you pronto! She grinned when she saw you exiting one room and then drowsily entering another. "Hey! (y/n)!! Wait up!" she yelled out while waving her arm.

            You paused where you stood and turned to see her. You smiled a little—it was forced; you were tired. A part of your brain was happy to see her, but most of your brain was overwhelmingly fatigued. "Hello, Suki," you waved as she got nearer.

            "What are you doing?" she asked with a slight tilt of her head.

            "Looking," you replied with a sigh. "I'm still...looking for Jenna."

            "Right," she frowned, not trying to hide her disdain for your reply. "Didn't Quince tell you to give it a rest?"

            "Well...," you said simply, trying to collect your thoughts. That's correct. He did tell you not to worry. He told you he would tell you what happened as soon as he could. You trusted him. At least—you wanted to. But it was hard to just stop looking for her! It felt like if you did you were letting yourself forget about her. Maybe it was less about finding her and more about making sure you didn't stop caring... as silly as that was. How could you say that to Suki without her immediately dismissing your feelings? You knew you were the only one left in the house that cared about the situation. Don had accepted Quince's words and had grown annoyed with you when you would ask him to look with you. "I think it's become a bit of a habit at this point," you tried.

            "Hmm...I suppose that's fair," she considered. "But now you've had enough and it's time for you to hang out with me!" she laughed happily and clapped a hand on your shoulder. She was so cute, you smiled too, but you couldn't do fun things right now. Your heart wouldn't be in it.

            "I don't know," you smiled apologetically. "I think I just have to keep looking."

            "Whaaat! But you admit that it was a habit! Like you don't actually have to find her now, cuz Quince said he'll tell you where she is soon!"

            "Looking for her is the only thing I can really think about right now," you sighed again. "If I do anything else, I'll just be itching to start searching again. I'm sure that eventually, I'll get over it, but for now, I have to look. I can't help it."

            "(y/n), that sounds bad! That sounds really, really bad, you need to take a break, or you'll go crazy!" Suki was serious in her concern. You were beginning to seem obsessed with this.

            "Suki, just let me do this. Please?" you looked up to her. She cursed in her mind when she saw your big, tired eyes and your pouty expression "god fucking DAMN it why is she so adorable? Too cute, too cuuute!"

            "Okay," she frowned deeper, her thoughts leading her away from the conversation. "You'll hang out with me soon though, yes?" she demanded.

            "Sure," you nodded as you turned around. "I'll see you around."

            "Yeah," Suki answered half-mindedly. She was upset now, but in a blurry way. She felt like her emotions were foggy—probably the effect of being around you when you were like this. She missed you. Why did it have to be this way?

            "Were you bothering her?" a gruff voice came from behind her.

            "Huh?" she turned around to see Ryo. "What gave you that impression, asshole?"