Chapter 22

Grandma had called from the nursing home, not to ask her granddaughters to pick her up, but to inform that she wanted to spend the night there. It wasn't a rarity though, before Savannah and Janette came, Grandma was a bit lonely that she often sleeping there.

She knew the owner of course, it was one of her closest friend in high school. So, their friendship had been going on for a long time.

This time, Grandma got an urgent matter to help a sick patient. A female worker was excused due to her sister giving birth in a hospital.

It was almost night time. Janette also said that she was having a sleepover at Brandon's place to help his mom preparing a birthday party for one of Brandon's little stepbrother.

So, it was just going to be Savannah and Amara alone in the house. That was until Adrian suggested that he wanted a sleepover. Lucas was horrified at the idea, as tommorow they still got a pile of works in their table, also, he didn't feel comfortable sleeping in another people's house.

Adrian was angry of course, throwing a tantrum which resulting in Lucas gotten a silent treatment from the little boy. The older man end up caving in at his request.

Savannah was also felt a bit uncomfortable. Alone with her own boss in her house? That didn't really sound appropriate at all. The two Hernandezs visited her house two times before this, but they never had the sleepover.

There's one room available honesty, as Amara still sleep with her. The little girl often got scared of the dark, or even when the lights was on, she couldn't sleep. So, she just end up in Janette's room or Savannah's.

"No, I want to sleep here." Adrian narrowed his eyes, hands crossed at his chest as he pouted cutely. Amara nodded, aggreing to his words as she smiled at the two adults, a hopeful look on her face.

Lucas let out a breath. This was going to be hard. Adrian's tantrum could last for so long, the silent treatment would go on for two weeks to months based on his previous rampage.

"Do you mind?" Lucas asked Savannah carefully. She had the doubt look on her face, biting her lower lip that he thought was a bit cute. He added hastily. "If you don't, that's alright."

This is inappropriate for sure, very inappropriate for a male and female to be in under the same house together at night, even more so they are a boss and an employee. Adrian rarely wanted anything though, just the occasional travel to fresh the mind and mainly food. These two were easy, but not this one.

Savannah was silent for a moment. She accidentally looked at Amara, which has to be a mistake since she immediately couldn't resist her cute look. Savannah grinded her teeth together before she answered. "It's alright I guess."

A slip of hestitation gnawing at her chest, but she pushed it away. Savannah gulped, "Amara is also alone at this night. She usually spend the time watching movie with Janette or listening to Grandma's tales, but they aren't here."

Lucas nodded, he was usually arrogant, well inside the office mostly, but now he felt nervous. It was like a new feeling for him, nervous in front of a woman.

But, this was Savannah. The woman that he thought was so annoying back then. Though, she turned out not to be so bad after all. He even had to admit that she was beautiful... stunning.

Lucas blinked, then smiling sheepishly as he realized that Savannah had caught him staring. He cleared his throat and looked on the other way. Amara and Adrian were bringing pillows out of the bedroom to near the tv.

"We are going to watch movie!" Amara shrieked excitedly, making Savannah blinked in surprise. Amara was never a loud kid, she was always shy and usually silent around others.

"Right?" Amara asked her, which she answered with a smile of encouragement. The two began to bring out more pillows from the bedroom, even the ones from Janette's. Savannah took two blankets out of the cupboard in case they were feeling cold.

They end up watching some horror and action movie, thankfully not romance, because it would definitely be awkward if the kissing scene came up. The two adults also wouldn't let the kids to watch these kind of movie yet.

Amara and Adrian took a spot in the carpeted floor, a fortress of pillows suurounding the two. Savannah was seated beside Lucas, awkwardly. They were definitely aware of each other's presence.

Savannah kept on looking at the tv screen, pursing her lips slightly. Lucas was trying so hard not to look at Savannah, clearing his throat once a while. But, he also couldn't help it.

Lucas was so used to Savannah presence in those two past weeks. Right after their talk in the restaurant about their past, he just felt that they got something in common, like he finally found a person who would understand him. He wasn't so sure though, there was another feeling gnawing at his chest. One that familiar, buat he just couldn't place his finger into.

They were in the same position for hours, the two kids were like they were in their own world, so was the adult. Lucas shifted his position occasionally, while trying to enjoy the movie. He failed, as he couldn't help not to look at Savannah's face.

It was the combination rough and soft features. Her thick eyebrows made her look like she was a fierce person, while her eyes told different story. There was a warm in them as she took occasional gaze at the kids on the carpet.

It wasn't until the time around ten in the night that the two kids began to fall asleep, facing each other as they were holding their hands together. It was definitely a cute sight that Savannah couldn't help but taking the pictures.

"Lucas?" Savannah asked tentatively as she sat back beside him, careful not to wake up the sleeping kids. Lucas's immediately looked at Savannah, a question swimming in his eyes. He waited Savannah to continue with her words.

"At that hotel ... why are you so angry that your wallet was gone?" She inspected his emotionless expression.

Lucas was silent for a moment. He was debating between telling her one of his secret or not. He had known more about Savannah, and somehow he wanted to get even closer to her. So, he did.

"The wallet contain something that's important to me," he began, "a bracelet, it was given by ... my childhood friend."

"A bracelet?" Savannah repeated, "So, it wasn't the money then?"

Lucas shook his head, and smirked cockily, "I wouldn't mind losing that little amount of money."

Then, he sighed. "Sofia Dawson was her name."

Savannah was silent, as if telling him to continue. Lucas took a deep breath, he remember that little girl who used to live across him. "We were so little back then, I don't remember much. But, she was the only friend I could get near the neighbourhood."

"You were so close with her, eh?"

"Quite close. We played and shared secrets together like what other kids often to do. And ... she was gone without any notice after I came back from a trip with my family."

Savannah was silent. "You still remember her, till now?"

"Yeah," Lucas smiled, almost sadly. It was the first time that she ever seen him showing that kind of emotion. "She was my first friend."

"Oh, I am sorry," Savannah could only say that to assure him. She didn't know what to say to him about this. "The bracelet must be important to you."

Lucas just nodded. His emotionless face was back. Even, his tight smile didn't reach his eyes.

Whoa, whoa, this book has reach 24k reads! Thank you for those who have been sparing their precious time to read this story. I can't thank you enough!