Chapter 26

Honesty, I just want to finish this story as soon as possible, though there's still a lot of chapters ahead. I will try!

They were sleeping in the rooftop. Dimmed light emanating from around them, creating a comfortable atmosphere as they gazed at the marvelous stars in the dark night.

It's was very late, almost midnight. So, no wonder that Savannah and Lucas were the only two people awake right now. Charlie had been dead asleep in front of the television as soon as they finished the dinner. The delicious dinner that was made by Charlie himself who actually cooked almost as good as a professional chef.

The two kids, Amara and Adrian were sleeping near the two adults, joining them in stargazing, but fell asleep afterward, as soon as the warm blanket wrapped around their bodies.

They were hudling together above a pretty wide mattress which Lucas had dragged with Adrian earlier. The silence was comfortable among the four. Savannah and Amara were in one blanket together, the older female was stroking Amara's hair in loving manner.

Lucas glanced briefly at the brown haired woman, then he sighed, eyes back at the dark sky which was covered with beautiful stars. He liked this kind of atmosphere. Unfortunately, he rarely experience it, the feeling of having a company, while he could ponder about the the life in silence.

"Do you only live in this mansion alone with Charlie and Adrian?" Savannah suddenly asked, breaking the soothing silence between them.

Lucas snapped from his train of thoughts. There was a moment of silence afterward.

"Yes," Lucas answered shortly, which made Savannah thought that probably he didn't want talk about it, so she just nodded and gave him a tight smile.

"I had told you about my father," Lucas continued, which made Savannah listened to him more attentively. She was glad that he was opening up to her. "My mother doesn't want to live here. After my father died, she chose to stay in the small house near countryside where we used to live together."

Lucas let out a breath. "No matter how much I tried to persuade her to live with me, she just doesn't want to."

"I suppose that the house hold precious memories for her, huh?" Savannah asked him softly.

Lucas gave a sad smile, his expression turned a bit bitter. "Well, it was the place where my parents meet, until they got married and continued to live there for a few years."

Savannah nodded in understanding, subsconciously her hand shoot up to squeeze his in comforting manner. Lucas was surprised by her action, but he managed to cover it by his emotionless face.

"She wanted me to visit her at least twice a month, so, it's alright I guess." Lucas said, to imply that he was alright.

"That's nice. Next time you visit her, maybe I can cook her grandma's secret recipe of brownies." Savannah suggested, which earn her a full wide smile from Lucas. A rare smile that would made any girl weak on her knees.

"Thank you." Lucas muttered softly. He had accepted it a week ago, that he held feelings for her. Her presence always manage to make him giddy with happiness, and her absence just drive him to seek for her.

Lucas also realized that all this time, he had tried to unconsiously impress her, to make her like him even more. Though, he didn't know if that works or not. He hadn't known her feelings about him yet, as she was quite professional about her job. It could be that she only thought him as a boss, although he hoped otherwise.

Lucas tried to hide the disappointment that almost made itself known through his expression. Savannah had retracted her hands back. He let out a little sigh instead, looking away from her.

"Are you alright?" Savannah suddenly asked him. Lucas almost jumped at the sound of her voice.

"Of course, just feeling a little cold." He gave her a reassuring smile.

"Alright." Savannah turned her attention back to Amara, stroking the little girl's silky hair.

There was a comfortable silence after that. They just enjoyed each other's presence without really saying anything. Savannah closed her eyes as she tried to savor the night wind caressing her face.

Lucas was too caught up in his own thoughts. Until his eyes absentmindedly landed on Amara's sleeping figure.

To be honest, the little girl still seemed like a mystery to him. Indeed, he did brought her a few sweets whenever he visit them, but, he just felt like he didn't really know her.

It was always Adrian who spent most of the time with Amara, he understood. He also felt that Savannah somehow had tried to be as subtle as possible regarding her attempt to distance the little girl from him.

At first he didn't notice it. As time passed, Savannah always made the two kids busy with their own world, away from the two adults. There were also times when she rejected to bring Amara in some events, she also made an unwritten rule that the kids could only have a sleepover once a week. She didn't really say it to his face, but he just guessed it from what she's done all this time.

If he tried to remember again, who is Amara? His memory only shown that she was Janette's niece for as long as he remembered. But, there's one thing that he wonder, all this time he had never heard Amara called to Savannah, what did she call the older woman?

Amara was a pretty shy girl, she rarely talk openly. She never really call a person by their name. If she wanted to talk about something, Amara would came up to the person and shyly spoke her mind in whisper if she didn't want other people to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Lucas let out a tired sigh. Perhaps, he was thinking too much into this. He slowly glanced at Savannah's figure, whose eyes had been closed. The doubt still lingering on his chest.

"Who is Amara to you?" He found himself whisper before he could hold his mouth. He was surprised by his own words. Lucas studied Savannah's sleepy figure, hoping that she didn't heard what he had said. Her figure was unmoving, as if she didn't heard anything.

It sounded more like a whisper, but he was sure that Savannah was the one saying it.

"Amara. My... daughter..."

Lucas's heartbeat almost stopped at that.

Well, I also want to apologize if in the end, this story isn't going to be very satisfying. I am just a horror and fantasy aspiring writer who tries to write romance, so, you can guess it yourself how it's going go be.

And, oh my god. This book finally reaches 50K reads 😭
Thank you for all my readers! I never really thought that people would actually read it 😭