Chapter 27

After seeing your comments, er... umm... I think I'm going to put a warning first.

If this story doesn't meet with your expectation, please don't be angry with me *puppy eyes*

***

Lucas was in so much self-doubt after the last night confession. He couldn't sleep, his mind was filled with a lot of thoughts that kept on haunting him. Savannah was fast asleep with Amara in her embrace, Adrian beside the little girl.

Amara, was she really her daughter? The question made him watched the two like a creep the entire night. He admitted that they got some similarities, the same colour of eyes and hair. But, were those enough to prove that she was really her biological daughter?

As much as Lucas wanted to deny it, they did act like mother and child in front of him. There was a little, faint hope in his chest that maybe Amara was adopted, and that those physical similarities were just a mere coincidence. He could just hoped.

Lucas wanted to ask the woman directly, but he wasn't so sure about that himself. Judged from the way she unnoticeably tried to hide the fact that Amara was her daughter, and the condition where she unconsiously revealed who she really was in her almost sleepy state. Perhaps, that would cause her to put a distance between them.

The next morning as they woke up, Lucas didn't bring up any matter that happened last night. He tried to act as if nothing happened, they had a small talk, but it was a bit awkward.

As the woman and her daughter had left his house, Lucas threw himself at the plush sofa. He had offered them a ride, but she rejected it.

"No. Thank you." She said, holding Amara's small hand as she held a bag in the other. "I need to buy something before I go back home, and it might take a while."

Lucas just nodded, a forced smile painted his face. "Alright then, take care."

Savannah excused herself, softly ushered themselves out of his house after she thanked him for giving them a place for sleepover, leaving Lucas alone with his doubts and a still sleeping Adrian.

He knew it already that he liked Savannah, probably after the time that they had spent together, that feeling grew. Or was it only admiration? He didn't know. But, he liked her a lot for sure.

Yet, after the time that they had known each other, he had never caught her with other man other than his employees. They are only collegues anyway, so it must be work related. One thought that gave him a headache. Did she had a husband yet?

He wanted to find the answer of that question badly. However, there was another thing that made his doubt rise higher. A childhood promise, which started everything.

Her name was Sofia Dawson, a girl who used to live beside his home back in the countryside. They had promised to marry in the future, it was an innocent promise though, but Lucas believed and kept on holding into it. He didn't even remember much, but how he could forget her innocent face. Blonde locks combined with doe-like eyes, strong personality that didn't match her small appearance. He remember it all.

That was also the reason he rejected so many girls his parents have been paired him with. He was enganged about three times, and nearly being wed about two times. He never bothered to meet any of these girls that he tried anything in his power to reject them.

By bringing another girl into their engagement, leaving the bride at the day of their marriage were the examples. Until his parents finally grew tired of his blantant rejections, quitting their attempts. It was useless anyway, and they had risked the company's name far too many times.

"How long are you gonna be single, dude?" Once, Andrew asked him as they had lunch together. Lucas' friend eyes slightly roaming around the room to watch over some beautiful ladies having their meals. What a creep, Lucas inwardly scoffed.

"That's none of your business." He had curtly retorted at his question.

"Come on, there are a lot of girls practically throwing themselves at you." Andrew raised his eyebrow.

"I had told you my reason." Lucas said, annoyed. "So, I am not interested."

Even, his friend had tried to set him with a few girls, though they end up being scared of his uncaring and cold personality. Some of them didn't give up to pursue him, but they did after some time. Indeed, he really wasn't interested.

Lucas sighed as he run his hand through his hair. His mother didn't say anything about marriage after some years of failed attemps setting him up with some girls. Now, he was still single. Yet, he could see it in her mother warm's eyes that she wanted him to have a partner, someone to share his burdens with.

It was frustrating, yes. He never thought that the small, innocent promise he hold into till now would be something that made his life complicated.

He admitted that he began to think about love life some time after Savannah came to his life. He also kinda, almost forget that small promise. Savannah's presence offered him some sense of familiarity somehow, that her personality could give him some comfort.

Lucas massaged his temple. He just need to solve at the mess in his life and provide his mother what she wanted. He just wanted to make her happy. Because after his father death, she rarely smiled.

Maybe, after he find the right girl to be with, his mother would be happy again. If it wasn't too much to ask, he also wanted her to live with him again, in this house.

That's it. He determined to sort his messy life. And that starting from finding Sofia Dawson, someone whom he hold his promise to.

I think that the storyline starts getting more complicated '-'
See you in the next chapter!