Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y  f o u r 

{Are you Ready}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

I awake to the sound of rain falling against the windows. The clouds are a deep murky grey, absolutely no sun seeps through. It's dark enough that the blinds are open and not disturbing us. Except there is no us. I'm all alone in Jayden's bed, naked.

I turn onto my back, sighing, and listen to the pitter-patter of the sky crying.

Jayden constantly surpasses my expectations when I least expect it. He always knows what to say that hits me directly where it needs to. Like last night. I hadn't let the happiness in before he came along; I was too afraid of the outcome. But I'm learning that you can't fear things that might happen, or the what if's; instead you have to live in the moment.

I roll out of bed, grab a tee-shirt from his drawer, glancing at the bare dresser where the letter used to be. I still haven't asked him about Olivia, and I don't know when I will. I push the thoughts out of my head, not wanting to think about her.

When I enter the kitchen, I notice the table is set. A plate of waffles, two perfect dippy eggs with toast, fresh fruit, and French pressed coffee decorate the hardwood. My head goes into a tailspin. I look around for Jayden, but he is nowhere to be found.

He did all of this. Smiling like an idiot, I settle into a dining chair and pour myself a cup of coffee before fixing myself a plate. The front door creaks open and in walks Jayden with a stack of mail in hand.

An immense feeling of gratitude fills my body from head to toe. I've never felt this way for another person, and I suddenly want to jump into his arms and never let go.

"Good morning, beautiful." He presses a hefty kiss on my head.

"Good morning to you too," I smile. "You did all of this?"

"I figured you needed a good meal after all that alcohol. You also slept like a log, I was making so much noise this morning with the pans and you stayed sound asleep."

I release a boisterous laugh. "I've been that way since I was little. I'd probably sleep through explosions going off if the situation presented itself."

Jayden takes a seat across from me, laughing too. "I hope that situation never presents itself."

We both enjoy breakfast while he sorts through the mail. I watch him make a pile for junk and one for important letters, then he splits those piles up into even smaller categories. The technique makes me smile.

As I sip my coffee, Jayden's fork falls, scaring the daylight out of me. I look up in surprise when I see his face masked with pure shock. "What's wrong?" I ask, my heart immediately racing.

Without making a sound—I'm not even sure if he heard me—his hand's fumble to rip open a letter. Patiently, I watch his eyes scan the letter. I can't make out the emotion that forms in his eyes. Possibly astonishment?

He turns the paper around, holding it up for me to see. "They're taking me to court."

Without reading the content of the letter, my eyes drift directly toward the Leeman's signature located at the bottom of the paper. I'm not sure how to react, so I stay stoic. The Leeman's could've helped Jayden find Ellie without getting the law involved, but they chose otherwise. Maybe this is better for Jayden, they're on his turf. He studied law, he knows what to do.