Chapter 33: A letter, a safe house and more...

Third Person

Dropping off the cakes at 'The Godfrey's Home For Children' had been on a bit of a whim for Riley. The idea had sparked in her mind when she had bought Ilsa the clothes from the dress shop. From thoughts of Ilsa, her mind had wondered to the more serious issues of Girannon, particularly the hardships poorer children had to face. Although she could tell just by talking to Mrs Godfrey at the gate for a few moment that she was a good person, good person or not, Riley could tell that she was poor. Her clothes were tattered, and her skin had smudges and creases on it, her hands looked coarse and wrinkled, probably from doing chores, and her back was hunched which caused her to hobble slightly as she walked.

It wasn't only Mrs Godfrey, the Home was much smaller than Riley's mansion but was probably home to dozens of children. At a glance Riley could see the dilapidated state of the place: the crumbling stone walls, the sound of dripping water and leaking pipes, the mirky smell of dirt; the place was pretty run down. Riley was already making plans to have the place renovated, she was even thinking about becoming their benefactor and provide Mrs Godfrey with money and resources to better the place. In the meantime, she would just supply the children with cakes and treats every week from all the things that didn't sell out in the shop, she would make sure to instruct Briony and Matilda to deliver the cakes to the home at the end of the day of Lightning every week when the shop would close for the day of Dark.

Riley smiled happily, she would employ random acts of kindness to help the people of Gismead as well as long term plans such as building schools and women's shelters. Riley slouched back into the carriage and brought out her phone. She tapped on the camera icon and took a selfie with the peace sign and the same happy smile she had employed for many such selfies - a commemoration for this moment, the moment that she was really going to start making a difference in Gismead.

When Riley got home she found that Bard had brought in a large present box that was covered in red silk and tied with a copper colored ribbon, with a letter address to her, and it was from Alice.

Before reading the letter she asked Edna to put the sales book and the cash box into her favorite drawing room. It was one of the smaller drawing rooms on the castle but it was the coziest and had a stunning view of the harbor side of Gismead. Riley could sit there for hours and stare out at the city. It was located on the East wing of the house, right next to the safe room that she had cast a spell on. It was Riley's private sanctuary, the perfect place for doing things that needed to be done alone.

"It's rather heavy Milady, so its best not to try to pick it up." Warmed Bard sweetly, as he hovered behind her shoulder.

"Thank you Bard." Bard was like a sweet grandfather type figure, constantly doting on her and making sure she was safe and comfortable.

"Release!" She casted, then watched happily as the magic fire seal broke away from the letter. She took the letter out of the envelope and was greeted by Alice's beautiful handwriting:

'Dear Riley,

I was so sorry to see you leave so early last night, but I guess it couldn't be helped, you did faint after all and I hope that you have made a full recovery. Since you missed some of the best parts of the evening I thought that it was my duty to catch you up on everything. Yes I am simply the dearest!'

Riley smiled, grateful that she had made such a good friend.

'Firstly, after the prince loaded you into the carriage and bid you off (and don't think we won't discuss the matter of the prince holding you in his arms in great detail, you should come over as soon as you can to have a chat, and bring iced cream) in order to get everyone back in good spirits, Lady Von Esterheim and Queen Mirabelle began to judge the hunt. As it turned out Prince Geoffrey and Lord Alucard's team managed to catch something unbelievable: A sacred Golden Moose. The most rare animal in the whole of Girannon. It was incredible, my first time seeing such a beast actually.