20

(Y/N POV)

I can't seem to ask for help.

I chucked a tennis ball at the wall, hearing the repetitive thump echo around the room.

My original plan was to finish the telecommunicator quickly, and then have time to work on my escape plan, but it's been 3 hours and I couldn't think of a thing. I had already looked at F.R.I.D.A.Y's suggestions, but none of them seemed to apply to the quaint room I was stuck in.

"Can someone die of boredom?" I asked the super-computer, "because I think I will."

"Miss Stark, what would your father think if he heard you say that?"

"He'd probably let me die."

"I must state that that is false."

"I must state that YOU are false."

"I cannot be false. I am intelligent."

"Wow. Arrogant much?"

As I waited for nightfall, I decided to mess around with Midtown's website on my phone. It only took me a couple minutes to figure out what Peter looked like freshman year

He was wearing a red dog-tooth button down shirt, and his eyes were widened as if he didn't know the photo was being taken. A strong emotion flooded my senses, and I smiled unconsciously.

There was just something about his smile; it made my head spin with a million thoughts. I missed the way his lips would curl up when he saw me, and it made me homesick.

Not homesick for the tower, not homesick for Midtown and Ned, but homesick for the times where I could go over to Peter's house and just watch Star Wars. In that time, I never realized what I had been missing all my life.

Everyone seems to take those small moments for granted, even I did, and looking back at them now I know I'll never get those again.

"Miss Stark," Friday said abruptly, "I've have sensed a significant raise in your heart beat. Would you like me to call your father?"

"What? No-"

"I must insist."

"Why? I'm fine!"

"It is not a matter of how you feel individually. This is the first record of red-blood cell movement at such an alarming rate. If you cannot provide more information on how you are 'fine', I must send someone to inspect your health."

"Oh cut it out," I said snarkily, "you know exactly why my heart's beating so fast. You just want me to admit it."

"Admit what?"

I rolled my eyes, and tapped my finger against my desk. I suppose my father asked Friday to question me about my feelings lately, because all he does is accuse me of dating Peter.

"Fine. I'll admit it. I miss Parker."

"That's not all, is it?"

"Friday I will shut you down if you even think about me telling you I like him. Because I don't. He's one of my only friends, chill out."

"I cannot 'chill out'. I can only overheat."

"I'm not talking to you anymore."

.........

My father strolled into the hotel room a couple hours later. On his face was an angry expression, and he immediately started fiddling around with his laptop.

"Well, hello to you too," I snapped, "how was your day?"

"Busy."

"Are you going to ask me how my day was?"

"No. I'm in the middle of something."

"Gee, thanks for asking! I spent a wonderful 5 hours in this room doing nothing but your work and talking to a stupid artificial intelligence system."

My dad sighed, and closed his computer. He took off his reading glasses and rubbed the crease of his forehead. Turning around to look at me, I saw a hint of regret in his eyes.

But I couldn't tell if it was regret for bring me along, or regret for leaving me cooped up in a hotel room.

"Don't you have something better to do," he asked, "or are you going to complain to me all day?"

"Let me out of this room and I won't."

"You know I can't do that."

"Correction. You can. You just won't."

"Good. I won't. And I'm not changing my mind. Now go to your room, before I tell Happy to take you home."

I narrowed my eyes dramatically, and stormed off to my quarters. Flopping on my bed, and sunk into the cushions and groaned into my pillow.

"I hate life. I hate it. I hate it."

Ding.

My ears perked up almost instantaneously at the sound of my phone ringing. I fumbled around my bed sheets, searching for my mobile device. Once I found it, I clicked the home button in a rush of exhilaration and excitement.

Peter Parker

Just landed :)