Chapter 31

Lucas felt a massive headache at his head as well as the pain gnawing at his heart. The guilt of what happened a few years ago surfaced again in his emotion.

Fate indeed has its own unique way to toy with people's feelings.

Maybe, in the past, he was too impulsive as to rebel against his father's decision in that manner. Now, he was regretting it all.

He was too arrogant in the past and it unknowingly has became his weakness. It made him judge people without clear head and looking things from other person's perspective.

Lucas threw his body in the bed, clearly frustrated. His head hit the wooden table near the bed, yet he ignored the pain. Both his hands was covering his face. He felt numb, and in his heart he realized that he had been such a fool.

The marriage at that time indeed wasn't held in a grand manner. Only the close work colleagues and distant relatives came to the wedding. Still, it must still be humiliating for a girl to left alone like that.

The whole night, Lucas emotion was still in chaos. He didn't even sleep a wink until the sun showed the sign of another day starting.

"It was really her," he muttered bitterly. He felt some sort of familiarity the first time he met her and found it a bit strange. Yet, he thought none of it and simply brushed it off.

Around the late night, Charlie went in his room and brought a tray of food. Lucas didn't touch any of it until now.

Charlie must've known that something had happened between Savannah and Lucas at that time and decided not to disturb him. In the morning, Charlie also didn't wake him up. In that sort of situation, he guessed that Lucas needed to be alone to gather his thoughts.

Dark circles hung around his eyes, making Lucas felt like he was no different than those beggars on the street. His mouth curved up into a hollow smile.

He sat on the edge of the bed, blinking once a while in his tired state. After a while, he just sighed softly. His throat never felt so dry before.

Lucas scanned the table beside the bed. There were his untouched food from last night. He didn't bother with it. His hand went straight to snatch the glass of water on the tray. After drinking it, his throat no longer felt so dry anymore.

He grabbed his phone, scrolling through the the contacts. His fingers subconsiously rest into Savannah's name. He just let out a deep breath and continue to scroll up. He called Andrew.

"You are going to be the one who is meeting with the guests today," Lucas stopped for a moment. He cleared his throat. His voice sounded to hoarse. He continued. "I felt a bit unfell today. I'll leave the work to you."

There was a silence from the other side of the phone, then a soft sigh could be heard. "You are always thinking too hard about the work. Now that it's good for you to get some rest. Alright, take care of yourself."

It seemed that Andrew know his friend wasn't in the mood to go to work today. Lucas appreciated his friend understanding nature and hung up the phone.

Lucas checked the time on the phone. The time of the work hasn't even started yet. It was another hour before the work time begin.

His mind did wonder if that woman would show up again in the office like usual, doing her work professionally and swiftly as if it was her nature. After a long time, Lucas just closed his eyes.

Is there a way to make it up and atone for his past mistakes? Lucas really didn't know the answer. If he were to be treated the way she did, he probably wouldn't be so forgiving.

A knock from the door pulled Lucas out of her reverie. The tired eyes moved towards the door as he said, "Come in."

A little figure carrying a tray immediately came into the sight. Adrian blinked cutely as he saw his uncle in that state, making Lucas actually felt a bit embarassed.

"Eat!" Adrian commanded as he put the tray on the bed, taking a spoon of the food and tried to shove it into Lucas's mouth. As an adult, Lucas couldn't help but felt more embarassed. But, he also couldn't find it in his heart to refuse the little boy's innocent action.

Lucas just sighed and took the food from the spoon into his mouth, slowly savoring it. Though, it also felt nothing but bitter in this current moment.

"I'll eat on my own." Lucas said, taking the spoon from Adrian's hand. "Have you eaten your breakfast?"

Adrian obediently nodded. "I already ate the omelette and the bread that Charlie prepared."

Lucas nodded with a smile. He has no appetite and only planning to shove a few spoon of the food down his throat to appreciate Adrian's care.

Adrian blinked at the man before him, tilting his head to the side curiously, yet he uttered nothing, unlike his usual chatty self. That just made Lucas wondered a bit of what happened. Did he look like a beggar so much that the little boy now was gazing at him with such curiosity?

Lucas kept his silent. Gulping down a few more of the food, he finally rest his gaze to Adrian. His hand couldn't help to reach out and tousle with Adrian's hair softly.

The little boy was reminding him of his late brother who had passed away a few years ago.

The sudden thought jolted him awake as if he had just realized something. His feeling was in sudden turmoil, yet in his curiosity he can't help but wondering about the indentity of Savannah's husband. Didn't she said that he was his long relative?

Lucas never cared really much about family gathering and only attended occasionally. That made him not to really acquaintanced with long relatives even though they shared the same surname.

Lucas was gazing at his phone in silence. Then, he made a certain decision in his heart.