already gone.

"i want you to know
that it doesn't matter
where we take this road
someone's gotta go

and i want you to know
you couldn't have loved me better
but i want you to move on
so i'm already gone."

- sleeping at last

~~~~~

she sat at the edge of the bed, her fingers swifting through her tangled hair as the mascara ran down her face - mixing with the red lipstick she delicately smudged onto her lips.

she took a deep shaky breath, her body trembling as a cry left her lips; her fingertips turning blue from gripping the sheets from underneath her.

the bed was cold, she felt numb. perhaps she left the window open, the december breeze reaching her bones like her heart was left unlocked. perhaps she's always been so cold, but his disappearance only made her realize.

the light from her phone lit her face, the dark bruises under her eyes becoming apparent as she read over his message for the fifth time that morning - his words hammering into her head every time she shut her eyes.

a cry left her mouth as she pulled off her dress, the cold air hitting her bare skin before letting the droplets run down her face - cleansing the dark smudges from her cheeks.

kaycee sunk to the floor, her bare back sliding down the glass door as she took her knees into her chest - a sob falling from her lips as the sound of the water hitting the floor silenced her cries.

"we deserved a happier ending."

LAST NIGHT
————————

kaycee sat at the dinner table, a sad smile on her face as she placed her unfinished food in a container, sticking it in the fridge before blowing out the flame that danced across her porcelain skin.

the smoke followed her into the bedroom as she lifted the sheets, sliding underneath as she took the silk dress in between her fingertips.

she pushed herself up from bed, the front door slamming shut as she ran out of her bedroom, scanning the house for her boyfriend. "sean?"

his low laughter echoed through the living room as she flicked on the light, revealing a smile on his lips as he talked into he phone, waving kaycee off as he walked past her and closed the bedroom door behind him.

kaycee put her ear to the door, holding her breath as she heard him talk in a low voice - his laugh making her eyes sting with tears. "thanks for tonight tate, i hope we can do it again."

kaycee pushed the door open, tears streaming down her cheeks as she gently reached for his hand. "sean, where were you?"

"i was out with some friends." he sneered, pushing aside the plate of food on the table as he went to the fridge and opened a beer, taking a swig as he scrolled through his phone.

"i made your favorite food." she smiled proudly, placing the plate in front of him, pressing her lips to his cheek.

"i'm not hungry."

"but i spent all day trying to make it perfect for you. i even called your mom and asked for the steps and she help-"

"kaycee, i said im not hungry!" sean spit angrily, hitting his fist against the table making kaycee jump back into the counter. "just leave me alone for once, god, you're annoying."

"no." kaycee cried, her fingertips trembling as he turned to look at her.

"what?"

"i said no."

kaycee had tears streaming down her cheeks as she met his eyes, looking back at the boy she didn't recognize. "i'm your girlfriend and lately it doesn't seem like that. you spend hours, only god knows where, you don't even go to my classes anymore, you used to love watching me teach. i'm tired of waiting."

"are you leaving me?" sean whispered, gently pulling kaycee's face into his hands.

"you're already gone."

sean wrapped his arms around her waist, her breath sending chills down his spine as her silent cries stifled into his neck. "i love you, kaycee."

her eyes shifted to his and became glazed with a glassy layer of tears, as she blinked they dripped from her eyelids and slid down her puffed cheeks. kaycees lip quivered as the words formed in her mouth, slowly finding the strength. "you use to."

sean ran his fingertip down her cheek, his eyes wet with tears as he pressed his lips to hers. "im so sorry."

her hand went to the back of his neck, deepening the kiss. he lifted her into his arms, laying her into the bed as he left dark colored marks on her neck, discarding their clothing as she pressed herself into him, her bare skin hitting his as she gripped the sheets underneath her.

she wanted to feel his skin against hers one last time, his lips against her mouth one last time, her name on his lips one last time.

kaycee laid on his chest, her throat tightening as she slipped from his grasp, biting her lip as she sliding on her dress - hearing his soft snores as she placed her belongings into a suitcase.

she threw her things into the car, placing a kiss to his cheek as she placed the note on the nightstand beside him.

kaycee closed the door, her hand hovering over her mouth as she locked the door, placing the key underneath the mat and left.

without looking back.