14. Here Comes Your Boyfriend

"Which one?" Bee asked eagerly from across the cafeteria table.

She had shown me five different facial expressions. For her audition she had to "enjoy a slice of pizza", so she was testing out different expressions to sale the idea that The Tri-Slice Pizzeria had the best pizza in southern California.

They all looked the same to me. I kept that to myself. "Let me see number three again."

Bee held up an invisible slice of pizza, pretending to bite into it with an enthusiastic look on her face. I'd been doing so good up until that point, but seeing her eat imaginary pizza for the sixth time sent me into a laughing fit.

She laughed too, tucking some hair behind her ear. "I'm so nervous," she admitted. "You'll come with me on Saturday, right? I'll need you there for moral support."

"Of course!"

"Yay!" She beamed, happily. "I also need you for your car because I'm positive my mom put a tracker in mine."

I nodded, taking another bite of my cereal. Say what you wanted about school food, I loved the breakfast selection.

"Your mom find a job, yet?"

I shook my head. "I don't think so."

"Kevin said they're looking for new receptionist at his office. She should interview."

I'd definitely have to relay that information to my mom. It sounded a lot better than moving boxes in a warehouse. Plus, she wouldn't have to work weird hours.

"Here comes your boyfriend." Bee wiggled her brows, giggling.

I looked behind me to see Nolan coming in through the cafeteria doors. His presence turned more than just my head. Other students did a double take as he weaved his way through the tables. It was probably because he never ate in the cafeteria. Where ever the people were he was somewhere far, far away.

Curious eyes remained glued to him as he slid into the seat beside me. If he felt the dozens of eyes on him he didn't act like it.

He sat the yogurt cup he had on the table, ripped off the lid and dug his spoon in.

His gaze met mine and that's when I realized I hadn't taken a breath since he walked in. I turned back to my cereal and gave my lungs some much needed oxygen.

"That was quite the entrance, Mr. Chambers." Bee said, impressed. "You must really want to get out of Bellcreek."

"Don't you?" he said before shoving a spoonful of yogurt in his mouth. "If making nice with these idiots is my way out, then I'll do it."

His words barely registered with me because underneath the table his knee was touching mine. Who got excited over things as small and insignificant as hand holding and knee touching? Was I really that desperate for male attention?

"Jade?"

I snapped back to reality to find both Bee and Nolan giving me weird looks.

"Did you have a stroke?" Bee asked, all serious.

Before I could question what she meant, Nolan's hand was on my cheek. He had that same look from Tiny Sprouts, when he was on boyfriend mood. This time our audience was much larger than Deshaun and Yalissa, the receptionist.

Nolan held my gaze as he gently swiped his thumb across my bottom lip. That's when I felt the moisture. I hoped it was milk and not drool. My entire face was on fire, I'm sure he felt it.

He leaned in, lips brushing against my ear. "I know spoons are a difficult to master, but the food goes in your mouth."

There he was again, simultaneously being nice and a jerk. Nice wasn't the right word to describe what he had just did. That was more than nice. That was...No. It didn't matter what he was being. All that mattered was the scholarship. The money. The plan.

He pulled away, going back to his yogurt. I went back to my cereal and tried to not miss my mouth again.

A moment later the bell rang and people started to gather their things to get to first period. Bee ran off ahead of us, throwing me a quick wink before skipping away. Nolan took our trash and tossed it in the bin.

"Where's your first period?" he asked as we headed out the cafeteria.

"Building B. B14." When he turned towards my building I added. "You don't have to walk me."

He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his black jeans. "This is what boyfriend's do, right?" He then pulled a hand out of his pocket, grasping on to mine and interlocking our fingers.

I glanced down at our hands, still not used to it. Could my heart chill out before it exploded or something?

"This is okay, right?" He looked down at our hands, his hold loosening a bit. "I know we never discussed it. I just—"

"It's fine!" I said a little too quickly. A little too loudly. "Like you said, it's what couples do."

His grasp on my hand strengthened again. It was strangely calming. "Speaking of things couples do, we should probably start going to school events together," he suggested, nodding at a flyer for the Homecoming Fair that was happening next week. "The couple that won two years ago went to just about every event and made it into almost every photo."

He had my full attention, my jaw dropping a little. "You've been doing research?"

"I mean...I guess." He almost looked embarrassed to admit it. "I'm serious about winning this thing. And I know you are too. I saw the way your face lit up when Candi mentioned the prize money."

I nodded in agreement. "It's a lot of money."

"And London is very, very far away from Bellcreek," he said, stopping a few feet away from my class. "That's why if we do this we can't half ass it. We gotta sale it. Be the best fucking couple in Bellcreek."

The passion in his golden eyes was contagious. Knowing how much he wanted to win made me want to win that much more.

As students rushed past us to get to class I took charge, falling to my role as the girlfriend. I lifted myself up on my tiptoes, pressing my lips to his cheek. My entire body was buzzing with the excitement of winning. Even though it was months away, I could practically taste it.

"Done," I whispered in his ear before lowering myself back down on my heels.

The huge grin on his face probably matched mine. Both of us were ready to take Bellcreek by storm.

"See you in woodshop." He gave my hand a quick squeeze before turning down the hall.

When I got to my desk and began taking out my textbook, the two girls behind me started to whisper in a way that was clearly meant for me to overhear.

"I just hope Nolan's using a condom," the first girl said.

"Right?" the second girl chimed in. "Who knows what she has living between her legs after all the guys she let in." They giggled obnoxiously.

My stomach tightened as all the passion and hope I full of minutes ago drained out of me. Part of me wished that Nolan was here by my side, holding my hand. It was safer with him. Easier to block out the whispers.

But he wasn't here. It was just me and those stupid rumors.

//

I never know what to say in author notes so i might just stop writing them...

THANK YOU FOR READING THOUGH <3

(even you silent readers who don't show me love by voting)